• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1TB Seagate vs. 500gb Hybrid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

I recently finished my build and am currently only running off of a 60gb agility 3 SSD. I'm trying to decide on my main drive. I've heard all sorts of good things about this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...62552&skuId=1149896&st=hybrid drive&cp=1&lp=1
but I have also heard that it has a short life span, which I am not a fan of. Let me know if that seems right.

I don't really have a need for 1tb as this computer will be used mostly for gaming, but I suppose it would be nice so I am also considering this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...rive/8490625.p?id=1186003683968&skuId=8490625

I can get either for $108 through my buddy, but I'm not sure which. If the 1tb will last considerably longer perhaps I will get that, otherwise I'd really enjoy the speed. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
:popcorn:

If it's just for gaming; and thus only for the installation of applications/games; get the Hybrid. I have one in my parents computer. It's no SSD for sure.. But you're going to be using the Agility 3 for Windows right? And the Hybrid just for installs?

If you don't need the space; go for the Hybrid.

Don't get me wrong, I will put the occasional movie on there and 50-100gb on pics eventually, but other than that it will be all gaming. Normally my computers have 200-300gb of pics and tons of movies =). Either way, i think the hybrid does seem better, though I am still concerned about it's lifetime.

500GB + 8GB Flash "Hybrid" (managed only by the drive, rather than your OS) = $160

500GB Hitachi = $80 shipped
32GB OCZ SSD = $57 shipped
500GB + 32GB "Hybrid" = $137

What else is in your system? If it's a new Z68, you can stick any cheap SSD in as the "hybrid" part. If you've got Windows 7, SuperFetch and ReadyBoost do it, too.

EDIT: Missed the "I can get it for $108" part of your post. In that case, go for the 1TB. That's a good price right now. For the "Hybrid", practically everything I've read about those XT drives says they're great placebos.

Last edited:
500GB + 8GB Flash "Hybrid" (managed only by the drive, rather than your OS) = $160

500GB Hitachi = $80 shipped
32GB OCZ SSD = $57 shipped
500GB + 32GB "Hybrid" = $137

What else is in your system? If it's a new Z68, you can stick any cheap SSD in as the "hybrid" part. If you've got Windows 7, SuperFetch and ReadyBoost do it, too.

EDIT: Missed the "I can get it for $108" part of your post. In that case, go for the 1TB. That's a good price right now. For the "Hybrid", practically everything I've read about those XT drives says they're great placebos.

He currently has an SSD already as his boot drive I believe. The Hybrid is for his games and such.

I have a hybrid drive. It's no SSD; but it's no slouch either. It's fast enough for general use. It's a little more than a placebo.. I can tell you that much..

Back