• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD sleep mode still an issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Ok, I've got a Vertex2 for my main rig. Currently researching for a SATA3 SSD for my benching station, but I'm not too concerned about sleep for that one (for obvious reasons, it's a dedicated benching station only).

The fact is, my main rig is a beast... huge, lots of fans, lights, etc. Got a large fan controller with blingy lights on the front, internal fans with lights, etc. With the Vertex2, I've disabled sleep mode, as I read that can cause problems with the SSDs, at least the earlier ones (Vertex2). I've not done any firmware updates yet, that I know of, and I bought it used here, but no mention made of updates.

Because of the above power draw and distraction factor of my main rig, which sits right next to my home theater setup, I have actually come to love the sleep function. I used to hate sleep mode in XP, because it never seemed to work properly in my systems and required hard reboots and such. Or waking took for-ev-ER (think The Sandlot), so I disabled it. But in Win7, it seems to work much better and I like the functionality of not having a distraction from the home theater. And it would wake in literally seconds as opposed to minutes on previous systems.

So.... is it still an issue? Is it just an issue with power-cycling on the SSD? So if I physically do a complete shut-down several times a day, is it any better than sleep state? I do a LOT of coming and going, spend a half-hour, leave for 20 minutes, back and forth... if I set sleep state to 2-3 hours, then it'll shut down late at night and pop up in the morning for me, and maybe shut down once or twice a day. If I were to set it to an hour, I might get one extra cycle out of it. But if I leave my behemoth running even idle 16 hours a day, there's a lot more electricity usage (850W PSU) and certainly distraction when watching TV. My other option is to reconfigure to cut down a ton of power usage (i.e., fans and such), which is what I bought the fan controller for, but I haven't gotten it to yet work properly.

So the main question is, for my SSD, is it better to have physical powercycling from the computer being shut down and rebooted several times a day, or sleep state the same, or is keeping my machine up and running 16 hours a day (at least) with a single reboot daily a better idea (taking power usage into account, along with the SSD power cycle)?

Or am I just being paranoid?

Well that sucks. How many cycles is considered "too much" and do the firmware updates seem to help with this issue any? I'd doubt it, but... I dunno.

i have a 60GB Vertex2 in my HTPC as the OS drive. i cloned the image from a HDD and resized to fit the SSD, so maybe my issues lie in that (i had no choice, i know a fresh install is better, but i would lose all the DRM for my recordings and i did not want to lose that)

anyway, sleep mode seems to work fine. the PC will automatically sleep after 30 mins or so. it will also wake itself to do recordings and win updates, then go back to sleep. great. the issue i usually have is that when manually pulling it out of sleep, after about 10-20 seconds, the PC hangs for about 30secs then its fine. is this the issue people are reporting with SSD/sleep? i mean i can deal with it, its just a little bit of an annoyance sometimes.

If I just reinstalled windows, and I forget to change the sleep setting, and pc goes to sleep.. then I have to reinstall windows, because it will just bluescreen endlessly :bang head

My recent experience with OCZ Synapse says that even when used as a cache, these things don't like waking up from a sleep state.

I have a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2...I often leave it on most of the day, but I sleep it several times a week when I'll be gone for a long time.

I shut down at night.

I haven't had any problems, and I've had it for months now.

I'm not sure if it is reducing the SSDs lifespan, but as long as it lasts another year (or more), I don't really care.

Back