• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA BIOS - Rampage II Extreme - Computer won't start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snoopios

Hi Everyone,

I'm having massive issues with my Rampage II Extreme. Basically, I went on holiday about a month ago and came back last week. Before I left I turned the power off to my computer (just hit the switches on the wall plugs to turn everything completely off) expecting nothing to happen as I've done this before. When I came back, I tried turning my computer on and it freezes on start up and on the little debug screen thing, it says "VGA BIOS" and doesn't get any further after completing "Locked - DET DRAM - CHECKCPU". When I take out the graphics card, it starts up fine but obviously I can't see anything. I've tried doing that and then plugging the graphics card in when it's fully loaded, that didn't work. I've tried resetting the BIOS, still nothing. I've tried the graphics card in the other PCI slots, also nothing and I've even tried using a different graphics card and that didn't make any difference. It was overclocked from 2.66GHz to 3.8GHz before I left and it was running really stable and never crashed, now it won't start up at all. Here is my set up;

Rampage II Extreme
Intel i7 2.66 GHz
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Corsair HX750 modular power supply
BFG 275 GTX
3 x 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD
Fatality Pro sound card (quite old, completely forgotten the exact model)

I was originally thinking it was the graphics card but ever since using a brand new one which made no difference, I'm beginning to think it is the MOBO!?!

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Is the MemOK button lit up? Have you tried pressing the button to have the BIOS test your RAM, and does the button stay lit after flashing?

From what I can see and have been looking at online, is that there isn't a MemOK! button at all (could just be me being blind). I even tried using different RAM which didn't do anything either. I took the graphics card out and it did the load up sequence etc. but then CMOS ERR comes up. So clearly the issues go further than originally thought and i cant think of any explanations considering how they have just appeared from nowhere!!

Can you get into the bios?
Did you try switching the bios'?
Maybe try the cpu in another mb?
Use a pci video card for testing. Did you try another pci-e video card?
Did I read this right? " then plugging the graphics card in when it's fully loaded". Care to explain this?

I can't get into the BIOS at all as it freezes before it gets that far.
I reset the BIOS already from my overclocked settings and that hasn't done anything.
I'm trying out a few things on my cousins PC this weekend so it will hopefully be sorted this weekend anyway.
I used a brand new graphics card as well and it made no difference.
Basically what I did was, I disconnected the graphics card, turned the computer on and after it went through the start up sequence I connected the graphics card back up, which made no difference as well.

Not just "reset" the cmos but switch bios with the jumper on the mb.
It's not good practice to connect or dis-connect components while a current is active.

Last edited:
Ahh right. I haven't tried that yet.
I know, i was just panicing as my dissertation is on my computer, i never usually do something like that.

I'm actually having an identical issue. I'm actually not even sure if this is a mobo issue or a gpu issue. I'm apprehensive about going out to get a new gpu and then finding out I didn't need one and instead need to get a new mobo.

I've already reset the CMOS and on boot the LCD states that mobo detects dram and cpu, but then stops at VGA BIOS. I'm not sure if this is stating that it's functioning and that it's waiting for me to make initial changes to the VGA BIOS (which I can't since I have no video) or if it's stating an error and that it's actually showing nothing and my gpu is just fine. Any suggestions?

Right, I have just switched the bios jumper things on the mobo and it's working again!! I did find out however that my graphics card had fried ages ago anyway when I tried it on my cousins computer. But yeah, switching the jumpers sorts the problem!! Need to re-install an updated bios and sort out my settings again but all in all, it works again :)

Back