• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have made a decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

griff_72

Registered
I am going to buy the KR7A-raid mobo

CPU AMD Athlon xp 1.8 gmhz

ram 512 mg pc1600 sddr sdram

do you think this system would rock or do u think i would be wasting my money please say ill be waiting a month for the price to come down when amd relise there new chip

Given the extortionately high SDRAM prices at the moment, come the day, it might cost you nothing extra to go DDR. (which is nice but not essential for happy motoring)

yup think i will buy DDR
dont know if i need the Raid im just a interactive gameing junky dont think ill need more than 1 hard drive or has Raid got other use's ?:beer:

Why Pc1600? I would go with PC2100 or higher Cas 2 or 2.5. Check out newegg they have decent prices for ddr.

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

I think that you may want to do a bit more research before you make your final decision.

The Abit KR7A-raid motherboard uses the VIA KT266A chipset. This board does not support SDR memory (PC100/PC133, 168pin DIMM). The KT266A chipset only supports DDR (PC1600/PC2100 etc, 184 pin DIMM). Not only do these memory modules require a motherboard/chipset that supports DDR, they are physically different than their SDR counterparts and will not interchange. There are a few motherboards that support both, each with their appropriate slots. I believe these motherboards use the ALI chipset.

Furthermore, since the XP1800+ CPU utilizes a 133(266) FSB it therefore requires the use of memory rated to PC2100 specs or greater, the PC1600 is rated for a 100MHz FSB.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

griff_72 said:
I am going to buy the KR7A-raid mobo

CPU AMD Athlon xp 1.8 gmhz

ram 512 mg pc1600 sddr sdram

do you think this system would rock or do u think i would be wasting my money please say ill be waiting a month for the price to come down when amd relise there new chip

would be good if u got pc2100 ram.

Also take note that amd does not have a 1.8 Ghz cpu out currently. they ahve the xp 1800+ which runs at 1533 Mhz, make sure u keep that in mind.

ok i think i need to clear this up as i have said not what i ment lol

this is what im going to put to gether

KR7A-raid mobo
AMD xp1800 would go higher but the cost starts to rise
DDR 2100

what do you guys think i should use for a cpu fan and heatzink
i may wish to o/c a little, but not realy important right now for me to think about o/c as its quit fast enough
i will probley get a water cooler later on just for some o/c fun and to see what it can handle, i will be posting the results in the forum

Last edited:
Your going to have to look at the brand of the memory you buy. Make sure its good. I like KingMax or Crucial personally.

Yodums said:
Your going to have to look at the brand of the memory you buy. Make sure its good. I like KingMax or Crucial personally.

crucial sounds good how about Generic are they any good
im thinking of 512mb but dont know if i should get 1 x 512mb or 2 x 256mb

Back