• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

With my specs, can I expect gains from a 560 ti 448?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeaQue

Registered
I have 1 day left before I can't return my 6870 to Amazon so I'm thinking about jumping up to a 560 ti 448.

Can I run it with my OCZ 500w psu? Can I expect a lot of gains over my 6870 with the rest of my setup or will my X4 840 bottleneck the gpu?

I have 1 day left before I can't return my 6870 to Amazon so I'm thinking about jumping up to a 560 ti 448.

Can I run it with my OCZ 500w psu? Can I expect a lot of gains over my 6870 with the rest of my setup or will my X4 840 bottleneck the gpu?

No, you prob can't run it with that PSU
No, you won't see a noticeable gain
Yes, it will probably bottleneck it

All around it would be a bad purchase

There is a review recently posted on the front page with some of this information. To answer here though.

1. YES, you can run it fine with that PSU.
2. YES, you should see a noticeable gain over a 6870
3. Overclocking that 840 will be helpful.

No, you prob can't run it with that PSU
No, you won't see a noticeable gain
Yes, it will probably bottleneck it

All around it would be a bad purchase

500W can't run single 560ti 448 and phenom II quad ? how do you figure that?
it will pull about 180W stock and around 200W oc'd at full load, and the rest of his system still has around 300W to use, provided its a good quality psu.
Hes got enough juice to run and oc those components to max

That 560 will pull 250w at stock. I think he will be on the boarder with that 500w PSU.
I still don't think he will see any noticable improvement though.
Buy it and prove me wrong :) Won't be the first time :D

Jigga, take a look at my review(s). Clearly the 560ti 448c beats a 6870 since it beats out a 6950 easily and ALMOST a 6970. Chances are he will be able to raise his in game settings a notch and get the same performance if not better. THAT is noticeable to me. ;)

As far as power consumption, again, look at my review or any reviews on the net. TDP for that card is 210W. Here are my findings:
As noted earlier in the review, the GTX 560 Ti 448 core seems to be a bit more power hungry with more shaders enabled. The TDP for this card comes in at 210 W versus 170 W than the GF114 based GTX 560 Ti. I used 3DMark Vantage with the system at its overclock settings (4.5 GHz CPU and 921/2100 1.10 V) with a Kill-A-Watt meter. I was idling at 135 W (no power saving features enabled on CPU), with a peak of 391 W. Average consumption was around 360 W. Lowering everything back to stock with power savings I was around 100 W idle and 360 W peak consumption. A quick side not in power consumption… I tested with the 3930K with all cores just for kicks and ended up hitting 500 W peak (around 460 W average). A fairly significant difference there.

Is 500W cutting it close? Meh, no, but it will run fine with both a CPU and GPU overclock. Nothing to be alarmed about at all.

Jigga, take a look at my review(s). Clearly the 560ti 448c beats a 6870 since it beats out a 6950 easily and ALMOST a 6970. Chances are he will be able to raise his in game settings a notch and get the same performance if not better. THAT is noticeable to me. ;)

As far as power consumption, again, look at my review or any reviews on the net. TDP for that card is 210W. Here are my findings:

Is 500W cutting it close? Meh, no, but it will run fine with both a CPU and GPU overclock. Nothing to be alarmed about at all.

You must have better vision than me, but then again I need to wear my glasses more when I game. :shock:

Well my 560ti 448 should be here tomorrow. I went with the Zotac brand because it came with a copy of BF3 so hopefully I can sell that to recoup a few pennies. :)

I'll post up how my system runs with the card tomorrow night!

Well I got my card and installed it and I'm scratching my head here...........

Using MSI Kombuster I benchmarked my 6870 with the following settings: AA off, 1920x1080, D3D11

The 6870 scored 3276 55fps 79c with stock settings. My best score was 3721 62fps 78c overclocked at 965/1205.

I uninstalled the AMD drivers and installed my 560/448 with the driver disc and rebooted. The 560 scored 2649 44fps 71c. WTF?!

Whats going on with my card? I searched on zotac's site for the latest driver and went to install it but during install it says "The Graphics Driver could not find compatible hardware."

If I look at Programs -> Uninstall I see NVIDIA Graphics Driver 285.66 is installed. The one I downloaded through Zotac is 285.62. I'm assuming 285.62 is the older driver and thats why I wasn't able to install it.

I'm just at a loss right now, I expected this card to smoke my 6870 without even OC-ing it.

MSI Kombuster bench? We dont use that.. no clue on performance. Look at my review and see how it compares since its the exact same card. Since you have a lesser CPU, due to the way the scores are calculated you should come out a bit less on most benches.

Install the newest driver from NVIDIA. Should be 290.xx.

MSI Kombuster bench? We dont use that.. no clue on performance. Look at my review and see how it compares since its the exact same card. Since you have a lesser CPU, due to the way the scores are calculated you should come out a bit less on most benches.

Install the newest driver from NVIDIA. Should be 290.xx.

I know you didn't use that but I did and I have all my results from my 6870 saved just so I could see how they both compared in the same bench test.

I just installed the 290.53 drivers so I'll retest after I reboot.

Well I just retested it and it did even WORSE!

2286pts, 38fps, 79c

I loaded up BF3 with the same settings I had with my 6870 and showed a loss in FPS.

I am honestly at a loss!

Try wiping ALL drivers out of there with Driver Cleaner Pro (free) in safe mode, reboot. Install newest drivers.

Something is up. And though your CPU isnt the best, it still shouldnt be capping this card at stock speeds.

As far as BF3, thats a tough one to judge... different maps, different scenes, and especially if you did that on multiplayer etc. Lets stick with something that is repeatable first. ;)

EDIT: I will install mine again tonight and see what I get. Granted, it will be on a 3930k though...

EDIT2: What res is kombuster running at?

Try wiping ALL drivers out of there with Driver Cleaner Pro (free) in safe mode, reboot. Install newest drivers.

Something is up. And though your CPU isnt the best, it still shouldnt be capping this card at stock speeds.

As far as BF3, thats a tough one to judge... different maps, different scenes, and especially if you did that on multiplayer etc. Lets stick with something that is repeatable first. ;)

I'll try that.

For BF3 I use a specific scene in the campaign so I know the numbers are at least close. This thing is running 10+ less fps than my 6870 on stock settings.

See my edits... :)

I suppose it could be a bad card... but not sure. Lets get the newest drives installed properly and see what happens.

Yep, and the closer you get to that max power of the PSU, the more efficient the units typically run.

:popcorn:

None of the 560ti's come with a waranty worth having, so buy the gigabyte. It has the best cooler! Plus you get a free copy of BF3. (My room mate bought two so I got a free copy of BF3 with that... granted I bought him deus ex revolution as a thank you!)

Back