• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idiotic SATA <-> PATA adapter design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Picture tells all. I needed an adapter to hook my older PATA drives to my computer, none that has PATA slots. So I ordered one, it was labelled as hard drive adapter for PATA hard drives.

When I plugged the adapter in, I saw problems right away. The SATA connector and power connector are exposed and touches the metal of the hard drive. :sly: So what idiot makes adapter and sells it for PATA hard drive without testing it or putting some insulator on the back? :bang head

I bet this adapter has very high return rate due to shorting out and quite possibly frying SATA port on mobo as well.

PS yes, 2 of the SATA pins on the back are bent and touching.

PSS is there a SAFE adapter that lets me use PATA drives? USB adapter is out as adapter aren't designed to plug into mobo's header and I don't want wires running outside the case to an USB port.

Attachments

• bad_adapter.jpg
    bad_adapter.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 108
Wow, that is horrific and is quite clear that the device was never tested. As trekky suggested, your best bet is an IDE card.

If you're just after the data, slip some cardboard or thick plastic in there to insulate it.

i know you can buy PCI cards that have IDE

Wow, that is horrific and is quite clear that the device was never tested. As trekky suggested, your best bet is an IDE card.

I wish it was that easy. 2 big video cards and a wifi card leaves only 1 free PCIe 1x slot and no PCI slot. Due to either odd mobo design or cheap case design, there is no PCI slot opening that correspond to the topmost free PCIe slot. :screwy:

I fixed the bent pins so they aren't touching and checked with voltmeter to rule out short between pins, then used thin cardboard (out of a cereal box) for insulation. The PC does not see anything plugged into the SATA port. Bad adapter I guess. So I'd need to find a PCIe 1x IDE card that has a slot death grip and no rear port so I can remove the PCI bracket and use it. Or I can still get USB adapter and hack the connector to use mobo header instead of standard USB type A port.

If it is that difficult to get an internal port, you'd probably be better off buying an old used IDE to USB external drive casing.

i have a similar adaptor from deal extreme... i just put electrical tape on the back and it works just fine.

cant complain about a 2-3dollar board.

Back