• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Great my 700+ Euro CrossFireX Setup got messed up by XFX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrOwow

Hi,

So after getting 4 bad cards from them (broken after a day or while)
I got sick of this brand. Xfx is just bad build quality. Just poor like poop.
Andways AFTER 3 months of waiting on the warranty (repair etc) i got a nice message back. That i recieve 140 euro. And no cards.

Btw one card is still missing i sended the other company a email but still got nothing back no money, video card or email.

Its about a 5870 setup from xfx. Its a pain in the ***. I wont find any better performing cards for the silly bucks i got back **** XFX.

I **** on this company. Why no new cards or repaired. No i get a bit of money back screw them :bang head

Great great.. You know what i'm thinking of now?
To just start again building a better system. Becuz this will be a case full of **** by now thanks to xfx its screwed now.

For the performance i want i can better buy myself a complete new pc then replace the stupid foolish parts.

Damn i feel so sad that such a company did this to me..

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

~NiTrOwow

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a burning bag of dog crap on their door step, ring the door bell and run away... :thup:

LOL.. G rated forum man...

4 bad cards ehh? Almost sounds like its not the cards if they all crapped out like that. The chances of getting 4 bad cards is slim to none with slim walking out the door. A 750W PSU for 4 5870's is cutting it AWFULLY close....In fact, the TDP for one card is 170W (170*4 = 680W). Anyway, thats just plain bad luck and Im sorry it happened...

Put a burning bag of dog crap on their door step, ring the door bell and run away... :thup:

I was thinking of asking Lulsec Anon team for a nice shell gift,
it would be around 70k all the way to their virtual front door. Muahaha

No but really i can better get myself now a new system. I mean its better then spending more money on this system while i can get a system that is 2 times better them what i have now for less money. And i'm nog going to put any more money in this system since i already spend to much on it.

So great thanks to **** xfx company for this pain in the *** action.

Its great.. NOT really :bang head

~NiTrOwow

4 bad cards ehh? Almost sounds like its not the cards if they all crapped out like that. The chances of getting 4 bad cards is slim to none with slim walking out the door. A 750W PSU for 4 5870's is cutting it AWFULLY close....In fact, the TDP for one card is 170W (170*4 = 680W). Anyway, thats just plain bad luck and Im sorry it happened...

DUDE. Ask first before you put on such a comment. You don't knwo the full story. I had one card first. First time i brought it was already broken (black screen, just nothing) Second card (new one) working fine for a while till i ran against problems and then the fan messed up. So i sended it back for warranty. Fine i get another card.. Great 5 months later fan broken to.
Back again.. in the time just before it went borken i brought myself a second 5870, second hand (new) with warranty on it. Then the fan got also broken. So i sended them both back to warranty again and... We are right here now.

Great isn't it? :bang head

Btw i have two cards and not four.

~NiTrOwow

Last edited by a moderator:

I was just looking for the TDP of those cards, thx for that. If you add the CPU and the other components, although some PSU are deliberately underestimated (you can make it give more than 750 W), I seriously doubt that it can be enough to power up such a computer....

My guess is Dirty power caused them to crap out...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-crossfirex-test-review/3

Below is for 3 cards from the above review
Here's where things get a little tricky, reserve 600 Watts for the GPUs on the +12 volt rails, another 250 Watts for the processor (we assume you are overclocking) and then add another 100W for the regulars.

Really, we say... go with a proper kilowatt PSU here, as next to a decent safety margin you also need a PSU with enough 6/8-pin power connectors for the graphics card.

EDIT: Saw he is using 2 cards only. That PSU should be ok in that case. Disregard. Still 4 bad cards, I look towards me, as the chances of that happening...................

My guess is Dirty power caused them to crap out...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-crossfirex-test-review/3

Below is for 3 cards from the above review

EDIT: Saw he is using 2 cards only. That PSU should be ok in that case. Disregard. Still 4 bad cards, I look towards me, as the chances of that happening...................

One had a bad PCB/Chip (that was the first card i had in my hands of the 5870's) Then the fans died one by one.

It has nothing to do with my PSU. My PSU is fine. Its above fine.
The cards quality is just really poor i mean REALLY POOR.

Watch this:
That was my problem.

NiTrOwow

SO not short after the CrossfireX setup i both returned them for warranty since the broken fans were really making me sick..

Cf setup before return.

Let the swear filter filter your posts, or I will filter you. Indefinitely.

Go ahead and express your frustration, but without the swear words. I have edited the ones which were problems already, so please just mind the language rules going forward. :thup:

Hope you figure something out for replacing the cards.

Let the swear filter filter your posts, or I will filter you. Indefinitely.

Go ahead and express your frustration, but without the swear words. I have edited the ones which were problems already, so please just mind the language rules going forward. :thup:

Hope you figure something out for replacing the cards.

If i want the same performing system i can better got and buy a new system. Instead of wasting 500+ euro again on CF. I can get for 900 euro a better system then what i have now so thanks to xfx again.

And oke its true. But common, you would be mad to bro :-/

That is pretty unfortunate. If you don't hear back I would make sure to file a report with the better business bureau (not sure if it is international, if not, I assume you have something similar on the Netherlands?)

I don't know why, but I've always stuck to Diamond MM's products. I still have old Rage based PCI cards that still work. A Rage 128. A RAGE FURY MAXX that would work if the drivers were still supported in Win XP/7. A 9800 Pro (XT unlocked). My previous cards were a pair Diamond MM 4890's. Haven't had a single card go bad. Not to mention they're always on discount/rebate -- got my 6970's for about $50 than typical costs (each).

Between generations I'll hop to nVidia and pick up an XFX card. I've had three of several XFX cards die. A GeForce 4 MX 440, FX 4900, and FX 5900. Before XFX was around, I would get my nVidia parts as reference/OEM -- nVidia branded (such as the Riva 128, TNT, TNT2, etc).

I can't tell you whether or not each board is a reference design or not (and could therefore blame nVidia or ATI/AMD), but without making any accusations it is fairly telling the story this lays out. Yeah. That'd I've spent way too much ____ing money on computer hardware. :bang head

I don't know why, but I've always stuck to Diamond MM's products. I still have old Rage based PCI cards that still work. A Rage 128. A RAGE FURY MAXX that would work if the drivers were still supported in Win XP/7. A 9800 Pro (XT unlocked). My previous cards were a pair Diamond MM 4890's. Haven't had a single card go bad. Not to mention they're always on discount/rebate -- got my 6970's for about $50 than typical costs (each).

Between generations I'll hop to nVidia and pick up an XFX card. I've had three of several XFX cards die. A GeForce 4 MX 440, FX 4900, and FX 5900. Before XFX was around, I would get my nVidia parts as reference/OEM -- nVidia branded (such as the Riva 128, TNT, TNT2, etc).

I can't tell you whether or not each board is a reference design or not (and could therefore blame nVidia or ATI/AMD), but without making any accusations it is fairly telling the story this lays out. Yeah. That'd I've spent way too much ____ing money on computer hardware. :bang head

Yeah i spend also to much on it but i mean those cards (mine)
are just bad and i don't blame ATI/AMD or nVidia for this. Its XFX what made thos crappy coolers and pcb's. Thats all. Asus provide much better quality cards.

XFX unfortunately got pretty bad quality control, and they truly messed up big time. Many other vendor however are not having any issues (apart from the usual failure rates).

I dunno what they did wrong, it shouldnt happen, not even at a cheap mainstream card.

My experience on XFX is: When i had a 8800GT from them, the cooler all of a sudden died. It was a single slot design (very small sink), so the card burned down with a pretty heavy smell... it only took a few min and i didnt notice it on time. Next time i started up PC, the cooler worked again but the GPU was unstable and destroyed. Although, XFX did replace that card, so im not truly mad. However, i do not feel to confident about theyr quality because thats the only time a GPU ever died (beyond repair)... any other GPU still works flawlessly and no other cooler ever stopped working. From that moment, i stopped using Nvidia cards because i just was kinda shocked when it happened and wasnt sure about the source of the issue. So i sold my next 8800GT and got me the 4000 series instead, and i had no such issues anymore.

I was just looking for the TDP of those cards, thx for that. If you add the CPU and the other components, although some PSU are deliberately underestimated (you can make it give more than 750 W), I seriously doubt that it can be enough to power up such a computer....

2x5870? They are pretty effective. The need like 150W each at usual gaming condition (~190W at furmark but furmark is junk). 300W both... oh the fun... he is still far away from the PSUs limit.

I can run a 6950, 6 core CPU, 12 GB RAM and 3 drives on a 500W supply, no problem at all.

Maths is easely done:
6950: <160
CPU: <130
SSD*2<10
HDD<10
RAM: <10
Chipset+ MB: <50
Optical: Isnt running together with HDD/SSD (if so, at least 2 of them are at idle) so its nonsense

=370 W
Max. possible value: based on >82% efficiency = 410 W @500W (~40W overhead)
PSU needed: 500-550W

Now if we get 2x 5870 instead its about same value but we have to add +160W
=530 W
Max possible value needed on >82% efficiency = 574W @700W (~44W overhead) <---- sufficient!
Max possible value based on >82% efficiency = 615 W @750W (~85W overhead)
PSU needed: 700W

Ofc OC does change TDP, but we already have a slight overhead for allowing a 10% OC (no volt mod). When bad supply, no need to read specs, it will always explode, no matter its size. Its not actually possible to overload (overcurrent), short circuit, overheat, under or overvolt a good PSU, because it should be protected against.

Last edited:
We covered that he was not talking about 4 cards at once and his PSU is fine for 2. Your numbers support that too :thup:.

TDP of 5870 is ~190W.

Also, if a PSU is rated at 500W at 90% efficiency, it will pull 550W at the wall. A PSU should be able to output its full rating on the sticker. With its efficiency involved that is obviously more than its rating. So that math is a bit off as the efficiency shouldnt come in to play from that direction really. It is building additional overhead so its not off in a harmful way at least. :cool:

Sapphire has never let me down man!

I'm currently running a Sapphire HD3870 512mb GDDR4 PCI-E 16x thing runs great for years now never had any problems with that card! I also overclocked it and swapped this card a lot of damn times. This card/brand is MUCH MUCH better in build quality and probably also warranty & support then XFX crappy poop.

NiTrOwow

Back