• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5770s wont crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

I had a Sapphire 5770 for about a year now. Worked great and everything but needed an upgrade. Just got my MSI 5770 today to do a crossfire but CCC wont give me any options relating to crossfire. Only problem i can see is that my Sapphire uses 2 crossfire bridges where this MSI uses only 1. which of the 2 on the Sapphire card would i connect to? are these cards not compatibble with eachother? im still trying to diagnose the problem as i type so ill update if i figuer it out

Have you uninstalled and wiped the drivers in safe mode, and then reinstalled the Catalyst drivers?

i figuered since there the same i shouldnt have to but im trying it now

EDIT: alright so i wiped the old drivers and installed the drivers on the cd that came with the new card. it works now so im gonna try updated drivers and see if it still works

Last edited:
alright i got crossfire to work with about 90% effecency out of it even. now im having alot of crashes. never an actuall BSOD but my system will start to slow to a dead halt. it will randomly have some programs stop responding while others will, then after abit the stalled program will respond for 1 last second then everything will freeze. mouse will still work, i can still select things, however opening programs or selecting already opened programs fail. i changed all my CCC settings to 'application managed' cause this helped me back when i had problems with crossfireed HD3670s. also when selecting the slave card in CCC, it doesnt show a clock speeds, activity, temp and the manual fan speed doesnt work. whiping and reinstalling drivers doesnt help. everything is running cool as aircooled can get. dont know where to go from here other than disableing crossfire which would defeat the purpose of the second card. also Bad Company 2 has flickering black horizontal lines and BF3 wont join servers without a "somethnig went wrong" messange but campain still works.

You'll have to install reference drivers if you're using two different brands. Sapphire drivers might not talk to the other card and vice versa.

AMD advises to install drivers with only one card installed, then after restarting, shut down and install the second card. The system should automatically turn on Crossfire when it detects the second card. In CCC, the second card will show 0 on everything until it's turned on by drivers when you load up a game. Manual fan speed also only works on the second card when a 3D application is turn on and full screen.

Only one Crossfire bridge is required in a two card situation. The second connector is for adding a 3rd card.

alright i finally got the computer stabile and not to freeze up anymore. had to make my old card the primary instead of the new card as a primary. after that and reinstalling drivers, i havent had a problem. i see what you mean about a 3d app running in order for CCC to display anything. somereason the slave card runs alot hotter than the primary, any reason for this? i got lots of fans in my full tower, theres alot of clearence between the 2 cards, and the slave card gets better cooling but still gets up to 70*C where my primary runs at no more than 50*C

Back