• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 repaired and now several gigs larger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

I got a new mobo a while back and since I'm super lazy I just ran a Win7 repair instead of a full install. Everything appears to have worked out fine except the size of my Win7 install increased a lot. I'm at work and can't remember the exact increase but it was something like 6-7 GB. My install is on a small ssd and if there's an easy way to reclaim that space I'd love to know how. Thanks!

When running the repair, it most likely saved your old Windows / Program files folders into a separate folder. Find them and delete, and you should be good to go.

Thanks a lot. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

Thanks a lot. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

No problem; I had the exact same thing happen to me when I had to run a repair on a machine where the manufacturer did not make the recovery media available any longer. When performing the repair, Windows detected an existing copy of Windows installed on the disk, and migrated that + select folders from Program Files to another directory.

Back