• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with low FPS, please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanic

Registered
Hey, guys. I recently got a new computer that I was hoping would be really awesome. The thing is, Minecraft actually lags. I've been playing other, higher workload games, such as SWTOR and The Witcher, and those lag a bit, too. I didn't think that would happen with my set-up, but hopefully you can help me figure out what's wrong.

Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Radeon (TM) HD 6770M (HP)
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1)

Well, 6770 is low/midrange card... I think that's why.

That's really disappointing. I looked at reviews before I bought and people said that they were able to play games like Crysis and MW3 on at least medium settings with no problems at all.

Also, I've been getting no more than 15FPS for either Minecraft or Star Wars. That's something I could understand for Star Wars, because graphics are a lot better and there are so many people online, but I don't get why I'm lagging with Minecraft.

Thanks for that information.

I've just read so much stuff about people playing these high workload games on medium settings with no problems whatsoever and I'm wondering why I don't get the same. I don't necessarily want to get a new card, but would that even be possible if it's soldered to the mobo?

Do you have a link to your computer spec? Is it a "all-in-one" type?

EDIT: most important thing, what resolution do you play at?

That is a laptop I believe.

The FPS do seem low still for that setup, minecraft specifically. I get very playable (at least 100FPS normally) on my laptop (in sig) which has a HD4850M (800 cores, 550MHz clock) @ 1680x1050 on high settings. I would expect you to get at least 50-60 with that setup at the same resolution, likely more (480 cores, ~675MHz clock).

I would see if removing the current AMD drivers for the card and installing the latest ones helps at all.

Also if you want to look at overclocking the GPU, get MSI Afterburner. I use it to overclock mine and it also displays useful data such as temperature too. Before overclocking, play a game and then check the temperatures after 20 minutes or more of game time.
If the temperature is reasonable (under 80C for example - everyone sets their own comfortable limit, GPUs are safe up to 100C usually) then you can slowly increase the core clock using the application.
Doing it in 10MHz steps is best, especially as you go higher as it will reach a point of instability. When this happens go back to the last stable clock and then you can set it so that it applies the overclock each time you login (of course this clock speed is only used in 3D high load, and will still use the lower clocks in idle and low load).

Yeah, it's a laptop that's only about a month old.

Is using Afterburner the only way to check temperature?

Resolution for Minecraft at default settings is 16x16.
My screen resolution is 1920X1080, which is the recommended setting.
For Star Wars, it's on the preset low settings, so I don't know what exactly that resolution is.

Especially with a turbo of up to 3.3GHz. I have no problems playing minecraft on my Core 2 duo. You should be able to go into CCC control panel and see the temperature of the GPU there too. (Right click on desktop to get into it)

Well, I right-clicked the desktop and I couldn't find the CCC Control Panel, but I clicked on Configure Switchable Graphics(I have Windows 7), which brought me to the CCC. Anyway, there's a program on there that says
Recent Applications
gfxui.exe - Power Saving

I switched it to High Performance mode. I hope that'll help.

Also, there is an area for me to add applications to this list. Should I try adding game programs?

Last edited:
Do you have a link to your computer spec? Is it a "all-in-one" type?

EDIT: most important thing, what resolution do you play at?

Also, I'm not sure how to make a link to my specs. I used Speccy to put up those specs for you guys earlier. If you could tell me how to make one, that'd be great, or just tell me what else you're looking for.

That's fine, I was wondering if you were using a laptop or a all-in-one type.
But I got the answer.

Back