• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Racing games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
Just bought a Xbox360 controller with the USB dongle for pc today. What are you guys favorite racing games ? Haven't played one since ps2 because my pc gamepad sucked.

Used to LOVE gran turismo 1 2 and 3. Anything like that available now for pc ?

If I had the money/time/space for a Logitech G27, I'd buy that and Live for Speed. I'm all for sims. I'd love to take my own car out on a track (or build up a good track car and bring that to a track), but there's no tracks around (that I know of), and I don't have the money/time/place to build a car.

Since you asked about Gran Turismo, I'm pretty sure LFS is up your alley. I'm also pretty sure it's one of the most realistic racing sims, if not the most.

I'd love to take my own car out on a track (or build up a good track car and bring that to a track), but there's no tracks around (that I know of), and I don't have the money/time/place to build a car.

if your talking about drag racing there are a couple 1/4 tracks near MA. one in NH and the other right over the border in NY. don't know where in MA you are but both are around 2hrs away from me and i'm in central MA.

those are the two tracks i frequent.

I raced my 300whp Civic at Midohio... that was a blast. V8's would still (barely) pull away on the straights, but going in hard behind one in a turn and catching up was an incredible feeling!!

If you want to play racan games on the PC then you really need to get a wheel. IMO the only ones worth the time are sims, stuff like live for speed and iracing. Live for speed is rather shoddy on a 360 controller.

Otherwise, you could always pick up a 360 and play forza. Forza is like GT, minus the obscure japanese cars but with much better physics.

if your talking about drag racing there are a couple 1/4 tracks near MA. one in NH and the other right over the border in NY. don't know where in MA you are but both are around 2hrs away from me and i'm in central MA.

those are the two tracks i frequent.

Nope, not drag. I mean a closed-circuit course (that isn't an oval, I know that the NH speedway exists). Though I'm sure drag would be fun. Either way, I still don't have the money/time to do any form of motorsport =_=

Actually found my Gran Turismo 3 disc yesterday (and all my other old ps2 games). Got it working on PCSX2, except it was freezing at the beginning of the races. Grabbed an iso of it, still didn't work, tried to make an iso of my disc, that didn't work either. Turned out it was a bad graphics setting :beer:

Been playing the hell out of it, 10% complete now haha.

Probably gonna pick up a couple more of the games on this page too. Thanks for your suggestions guys :)

Nope, not drag. I mean a closed-circuit course (that isn't an oval, I know that the NH speedway exists). Though I'm sure drag would be fun. Either way, I still don't have the money/time to do any form of motorsport =_=

drag is fun. my first time out i beat a 5.0 mustang with my mostly stock grand am at the time..

don't know of any circuit courses around here. closest thing you might get is autocross.

Depending what type of racing games you like, Midnight Club II and Tokyo Extreme Racer (Zero) are also fantastic.

Dirt 3 is wicked for racing. It does however feature 'Gymkhana' which is pathetic fruity stunting around donuts and ramps and other garbage that it forces you to complete along with (good) races to progress in the game. If it were just straight racing I'd give it a 9 but the stunt lameness makes it a 6.5

Dirt 3 is wicked for racing. It does however feature 'Gymkhana' which is pathetic fruity stunting around donuts and ramps and other garbage that it forces you to complete along with (good) races to progress in the game. If it were just straight racing I'd give it a 9 but the stunt lameness makes it a 6.5

Agreed!

Why don't the make an "up to date" version of colin mac rae 4?!?

I enjoyed the gymkhana actually... Breaks up the monotony of racing the 4 maps in different directions :p.

Dirt has been the most recent in racing that i think is viable. Any thing EA has made for racing seems to have a cheat to keep up computer system some times and it really aggervates me.

but at the same time i agree with other people Dirt has lost its stuff comared to CMR so try and find those they are still good games.

racing has been pretty sparse on PC, Blur was ok on console and i see it on steam but i dont know how it would compare and theres a couple others i notice that were made a while ago, like Race 07, that are updated with car packs instead of a new game. Race 07 is $6 on steam at the moment, i dont have it it was just an observation

Back