• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual monitor issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capitalfear

Registered
Please don't eat me!
I've had my radeon hd 6850 for quite awhile now and I can't seem to get the dual monitor function to work...I am using 2 DVI connections, is this the problem?

You should be able to use two monitors with a DVI connection, I've been doing it for years. What have you tried so far? Do you get errors? What happens if you try to change it?

If you don't need anything special (Eyefinity, spanning, etc), configuring the screens in Windows is a bit easier.

I tried both of those. No errors, the second monitor just never wakes up. I know both of the monitors work. Windows and eyefinity.

Can you drag windows to where the other monitor should be? If so, Windows is enabling it. What happens if you switch ports on video card? Have you tried other cables?

If not, check system logs and you could try reinstalling the drivers.

I reinstalled the drivers, Switched ports, and no it just says the little "I'm alive here are three colors to prove it" screen like it's on but not connected.

Can you drag windows to where the monitor should be? Any errors in the log?

What does your screen resolution look like? (link)
In CCC, does it allow you to configure the setup within there?

I'm not too familiar with AMD cards, so I'm not sure how much help I will be.

I CAN drag windows to where the monitor SHOULD be. No errors, and if I remember correctly my resolution is 1056 x 768?

You should be able to use two monitors with a DVI connection, I've been doing it for years. What have you tried so far? Do you get errors? What happens if you try to change it?

If you don't need anything special (Eyefinity, spanning, etc), configuring the screens in Windows is a bit easier.

true you should just have to plug them in to the graphics card turn the pc on and you should be good to go.

Configuration should be a minimum. aside from plugging the two monitors into the graphics card i didn't have to do much. even when i added a 3rd monitor via a pci card i didn't have to configure anything.

Man, this bites, I think I got a dead card at that point, and I really don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for another one...-.- I'll play with it a little more when I get home tonight. Thanks for all your help guys.

does the card at least see the monitor. like does it show up in the screen resolution panel in windows.

have you tried a different cable. i got a cable on another pc that will make the monitor lose signal if it's moved. otherwise it works fine.

might be a little out there but have you tried wiggling the cable near the connectors to see if anything happens.

wiggle cords, connections were a problem with dual monitors for me

i only mentioned that because i ran into a similar problem with one of my DVI cables.

this is on the pc where i only have one monitor hooked up. single or dual it won't make a difference if the cable is bad.

if you have to wiggle the cords it means you have to replace them. i just never bothered with it since the pc stays in one spot and i put the end that you have to wiggle on the monitor end so the cable rests on the base.

Cables are all good, both monitors work one at a time in the first port..but nothing ever in the second...:[

Back