• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, yay! random mobo behaviour...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lkteer

Hi, just completed my first m-atx build and have spent 12 hours troubleshooting :bday:

Relevant parts are:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
cpu: i5 2500k
ram: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance
psu: Corsair Gaming Series GS600

1:put everything together in case; psu and cpu fan starts for couple of seconds then turns of in a loop. Maybe i had a short?

2: Took out mobo and put it on table, plugged out evertything except one (4gb) ram stick. Bios flashed superfast before showing "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". No chance at hitting any keys.

3: what followed was me trying to boot with every combination of inserted rams, bootable usb's, sata connected hd, usb keyboard etc, tried other rams (still corsair though) to rule out error. But the computer just responded in 5 seemingly random ways.

-1: doesn't turn on at all. (16gb inserted + at random)
-2: turn off shut down loop (always with 16gb ram inserted + random)
-3: psu turns on. cpu fan tries to speed up and succeds the 4. time. AND THEN EITHER:
----4: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" flashes 7-10 times without bios showing up.
----5:bios flashes for a second and you can actually access it if you are fast enough, but this has only happened 2-3 times over almost 150 tries. (never with hd connected though)

Is my gigabyte mobo fried? Cpu? Wrong power supply? I can't find any pattern in these errors. Weird that i can access bios very few times, seems so unstable it almost seems like loose wiring. Can a mobo become unstable like this if it has been shorted. Can a cpu be unstable like this? Just a few ideas.

Thanks in advance! :thup:

Last edited:
Could the CPU being get hot ?? Like the HSF isnt connecting that well?? But i have bought things brand new and be bad,,, there is good and bad ones in EVERYthing you buy,... do you have a different PC that you can try the items one at a time?

The fan connects solidly as far as i can see. Ordered a new motherboard now, so it sucks if it's the cpu :-/ No one tried anything similar?

Back