• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB VS eVGA GTX560 ti 448 Cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigbaddie

I'm in the final stages of buildling my PC and I came across the radeon 6950 at a similar price as the 448 cores.

Which one would be better suited for my gaming needs?

I know AMD's driver's are released later than NVIDIA's but performance wise which one's better?

TIA

What res are you running? I believe the GTX 560 Ti 448 cores is slightly better than the HD 6950; but just below the 6970.

Unless you feel you need the 2GB frame buffer; the nvidia card wins my vote.

Can't the 6950 Toxic unlock to a 6970, making it a better deal? If not i would go for the 560 Ti.

EDIT: Looks like the Toxic edition of the 6970 is hard to find, it's about a 80% chance of getting a 6970 just by flipping a switch, that would be my vote, even if it doesn't unlock you still get a great GPU, if it does unlock, you got a freakin' awesome deal.

hmm just saw a radeon 6970 for $330.. probably will pick that up instead over the asus gtx570.

The 6970 is better than the gtx570? First time building a comp by myself so bear with me :D

GTX 570 and HD 6970 2GB Trade blows. If you can get the HD 6970 for a lesser price; go for it.

Note this; the GTX 570 TENDS to have higher minimum frame rates. Which is a general thing over Nvidia vs amd cards.

But the 2GB frame buffer ensures no issues with vram for the HD 6970.

If you're a battlefield 3 player though; the GTX 570 is the better card for this. Nvidia works better on BF3. Why? No idea.

I would buy the sapphire card and be done with it. Before the stocks go out ;).

What's the rest of your system going to be anyway?

Original plan:

Case: Corsair 500R
Processor: i5 2500k $
Motherboard: asus p8z68-v pro / gen3
heatsink: Noctua NH D14
memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit
HD: 1TB Seagate barracuda sata III with 64mb cache
video card: evga GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 cores
power supply: Corsair Gaming Series GS800 Power Supply

Debating on the GPU and my HD whether i shouldl grab a SSD

While you're at it, would this ssd be any good:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34786

That SSD is good, just very small. I would not go with less than a 120 GB for a desktop drive.

Z68 supports caching though which is an option with a small SSD.

with the SSD, i was going to load my OS and a few other things that i wanted to load up faster. I would still use a HDD for everything else though.

Please dear god forget caching. Get the 60GB SSD and use it as a boot/main drive for main apps only with games on the HDD. It's worth it. Buy it. Or a Crucial M4 SSD (i prefer Crucial personally)

A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo will cool a 2500K perfectly fine if you can save some money there. NH D14 is overkill for a 2500K.

Stick to 8GB of RAM unless you KNOW you need it; if you don't know; you don't need it!

Grab a GTX 570 or HD 6970 2GB and be done with it IMO.

I would also pick a different power supply. Silverstone Strider Gold 750 Would be my pick. Only 5 bucks more than your current choice; and fully modular. And performs better as well with a better efficiency.

Please dear god forget caching. Get the 60GB SSD and use it as a boot/main drive for main apps only with games on the HDD. It's worth it. Buy it. Or a Crucial M4 SSD (i prefer Crucial personally)

A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo will cool a 2500K perfectly fine if you can save some money there. NH D14 is overkill for a 2500K.

Stick to 8GB of RAM unless you KNOW you need it; if you don't know; you don't need it!

Grab a GTX 570 or HD 6970 2GB and be done with it IMO.

I would also pick a different power supply. Silverstone Strider Gold 750 Would be my pick. Only 5 bucks more than your current choice; and fully modular. And performs better as well with a better efficiency.

Considered the Hyper 212,however even OC'd to 4.5ghz would be fine?

As for the PSU, i thought modular ones don't work as well, and also would 750 watts be able to SLI the 570?

Last edited:
Yes it can sli it.

Modular PSUs are the way to go. It's been years since they were worse than their non modular brothers.

Yes a hyper 212 will take a 2500k to 4.5ghz no problem.

Alright thanks man.
Also, I just found a OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD for $150.. hear any good things about it? else i'll grab the crucial m4.

atm, im leaning towards :
Crucial >Corsair>>OCZ.

Providing you update the Firmware of the OCZ it should be fine.

To be fair; 120GB SSD for 150 bucks? That's a good deal. Go for it. Just remember to update the firmware or you will get endless BSOD's.

I still prefer Crucial for SSD's though..

Yup picking up the crucial m4 ssd tmr.

as for the hyper212 evo, would push pull make a big difference? Also how would that be set up?

Back