• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Pump Selection Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supersniper111

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out the right size pump for my build:

Core i7-2600k @4.0 (to be higher later) w/ EK Supreme HF
GTX 570 SLI setup w/ 2 EK 570 1.1 blocks and parallel flow adapter
Black Ice GTX 360 radiator (mounted on back)
Black Ice GTX 120 radiator (mounted on top fan spot)
EK Dual bay plexi rad
1/2" ID w/ 3/4" OD tubing

Path is as follows: Pump -> CPU -> 120 rad -> GPUs -> 360 rad -> reservoir

I tried with the Swiftech MCP655 and it seemed quite underpowered. I tried going through all the parts w/ the pump manually to check for blockages, but didn't come up with anything.

Suggestions? I am a complete beginner with all of this so if you have any advice, please share! :)

Thanks in advance!

K, ya lost me a little bit...you have the parts installed?, or are you using an online calculator of some sort?

As for pumps, though it is smaller in size, the MCP-35x beats a 655 so I'm told.

:welcome: to the forums!

Yeah, I have the parts installed (was doing a leak test), as I thought the Swiftech MCP655 was enough.

Gotcha. It should be good enough. I'd finish the leaktesting after making sure the air is bled from the system, and judge by temps.
That top radiator is gonna be the hardest to get all the air out of it, that really can slow down the water. If the res is sealed and won't leak, I'd tip the system forward and back to make sure it's clear.

I'm not getting any flow back to the reservoir, so there's something out of whack, maybe an air bubble in one of the radiators or whatnot.

No flow or weak flow?
No flow would mean you're running your pump (and it's warranty) dry!, or you've got a hose that's kinked shut.
I'd kill the power and start working the air out the old fashioned way, gravity/tipping.

**as long as things are secured, don't be afraid to shake it a bit or even rap on things to dislodge the air (open palm, no rings ;)).

Last edited:
Hmm. I do have trickles coming back to the reservoir (trickles, though). I can't see how it could be dry flow, as the reservoir is plenty full (up to max line) and there is water in the tube heading to the pump. As far as kinks, none of my tubing is bending very tight, and it doesn't seem to be kinked. I will work on getting the bubbles w/o power a little bit and see where that goes.

Cool, with water in the line from your res to the pump, then that's probably got water inside the pump.
Did you clean out the radiators before installing them? Run tap water through them (both directions)? Since they can be stored for months before sale, I've seen all kinds of things come out of them during a clean out....spiders, packing peanuts, globs of flux etc..

**Plenty of info here on that, just search "Rad Dance".

Last edited:
It seems like the problem was not that water wasn't getting to the pump, but that the tubing going there was apparently extremely slightly bent and it caused the pump to have a hard time drawing water from the reservoir. As soon as I moved it up about an inch, lo and behold, the water in my reservoir started splitting like the red sea. Thanks for the help Diggrr!

AS long as you have the res > pump combo, make sure the res water is falling in the pump first before anything. that's the order you should have it but it seems you got it going so nvm lol

Sweet, ya found the problem!
I was just checking in cause I began to wonder if you had the variable speed version pump and it was turned down to 1. :)

Glad you got it fixed! :thup:
Now you know there's gonna be some pictures required, right?

Rotary - I did indeed, but thanks for the tip :)
Diggrr - Of course! I still need to get a couple of 90 and 45 degree fittings, but as soon as I get it up I will get good pics up. Until then, this will have to suffice.

Attachments

• 2012-01-25_00-43-17_810.jpg
    2012-01-25_00-43-17_810.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 44
Back