• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build need advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i can buy a new cooler my concern is more on the issues with the FX chip not working well with win7 and no games really use 8 cores yet

FX-8150 works fine with Win7. FX-8150 has no issues with games as I understand it. Now that said the FX-8150 is not the giant killer a years worth of worthless hype made it out to be, but it plays games alright enough. Still again if you are concerned with something about the FX-8150 then get the 960T and clock it and wait on pile-drive processors to come and with a good 990FX mobo you should be okay with a bios update when ever pile driver gets here and you have 960T sitting in the cpu socket to upgrade the bios with.

FX-8150 works fine with Win7. FX-8150 has no issues with games as I understand it. Now that said the FX-8150 is not the giant killer a years worth of worthless hype made it out to be, but it plays games alright enough. Still again if you are concerned with something about the FX-8150 then get the 960T and clock it and wait on pile-drive processors to come and with a good 990FX mobo you should be okay with a bios update when ever pile driver gets here and you have 960T sitting in the cpu socket to upgrade the bios with.

I think Piledriver will be an FM2 socket.

@ enorah, what games are you planing to play? the FX 6120 is just as good with BF3 as an i7 2600K, a 960T is probably not far off...

But with older games the FX is not quite the i7 2600K, yet with 'more' new games that MIGHT change, and the i7 2600K will hurt your pockets by far more anyway and will start looking like a massive waste of money if the next gen of gaming takes a leaf out of BF3's book.

picture.php

"Frakkman", the APU (cpu/video) based on piledriver and called Trinity will move to FM2 socket, but the cpu only PD is still suspected to go in AM3+ mobo. Again nothing but secrecy at AMD. So I really cannot get excited one way or the other.

However PD is going to bring with it a new Mobo chipset series 10xx with some changes in it from previous. More sata6 and native Usb 3.0 and there is not supposed to be an X only series anymore just FX and no series similar to the 970. You will get the big dog chipset or go with the APU stuff so far it seems. All things subject to change with wind direction. RGone...ster.

Oh...ok. :p

After the apparent FX Hype letdown they have probably learnt to say nothing at all with new stuff from now on.

Having said that is the FX a let down? the main complaint from AMD users was not being able to match Intel's 2500 / 2600 in gaming, the FX was designed to answer that complaint, it may well yet put that question to rest.

I'm going to start looking for, and then compiling game benching data involving the FX.

FarCry 3 , Rift, Tera , Planetside2, Skyirm

Thanks :) yes, its difficult to find even one source of benchmarks involving the full range of CPU's for the latest games 'at this point' let alone a minimum of 2 from independent sources.

For now the usual bunch are sticking with old out of date games or have not yet updated there data.
Tthe only modern game CPU benchmarks i have found 'from independent sources' are ones for BF3, and i had to dig away from the usual bunch to get those.

BF3 is undoubtedly the most popular game today, but another one i'm looking for is COD-MW3 as that was designed to compete with BF3.

Once i have that data compiled, and if some of them have the FX at the top i'm going to look at what (if anything) those games have in common, a whole raft of gaming gurus predicted that the FX would be utterly hopeless with BF3 (particularly BF3) because of the monster processing power its enormous physics matrix needs. its clear they are proven utterly wrong, how? why?

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with the 960T now and enjoy until AMD gets all this PD BD crap figured out. It is a rock solid chip for little beans, IMHO.

You cant go wrong with the 960T now and enjoy until AMD gets all this PD BD crap figured out. It is a rock solid chip for little beans, IMHO.

Hear Hear...... the problem is they have already stopped production of all Thuban's, whats left is post production stock, once that's gone its all over for Thuban.

I'm going to Intel fanboy it here. (Not that I am.. but)

I suggest a 2500K and a Asrock Extreme 3 Z68 Gen 3 Motherboard. 8GB of 1600MHZ RAM. Coupled with a Thermalright True Spirit... And you're g2g. Uses far less power too..

And for the price of a GTX 580; you might as well get a HD 7970 these days.. At least for you guys in the states; it makes more sense. Else get a GTX 570.. It's still no slouch.

Also depends on the resolution you wish to run.. 1080p or less a GTX 570 should be enough. Else; a GTX 580 or HD 7970..

If you get a GTX 570/580; opt for a Direct CU II model from Asus if you can..

Also your current PSU choice is overkill. 1000W isn't needed. Even if you were to run 2 GTX 580's a 850W psu would be more than enough.. (Frankly a 750W would be enough.. As long as you avoid furmark. During gaming consider around 230W loading on each GTX 580 + <100 on the CPU assuming sandy bridge). You'd need 850W for the AMD chip though if you stick to that.

Just another offer.

Back