• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got BF3 and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B7akk0

Registered
Does anyone else find the installation process EXTREMELY annoying? What happened to installing and playing?

So far it's been like this for me,
Install Origin off the disk
Install Battlefield 3 with 2 disks (fair enough)
Install 1 Update
Install 2nd Update
Play Now
Redirects me to A WEBSITE TO CLICK ON EITHER MULTIPLAYER OR CAMPAIGN!?
...Cannot play, downloading 4gb patch

and here I am.
Not happy =|

You should have just downloaded origin, installed it, put in your game key and downloaded the game.

Bingo, as I would guess it would automatically download the latest version of the game.

If I remember correctly, this sounds mostly right. I had the game on release day and this seems correct up until the last few parts...to include 1 update at the time.

Yeah, BF3 installation sucks. For some reason I even had to install it twice from the disk to get it to show up in Origin. Installing from the disk and downloading the 4GB is still much faster than DLing the whole game when the DL speed is 100-150KB/s...

I hate that you got a website to launch the game. Requires me to install browser plugins and god knows how many security holes that might have knowing EA...

Does anyone still get the annoying screen flicker once they begin playing BF3???

I hate that you got a website to launch the game. Requires me to install browser plugins and god knows how many security holes that might have knowing EA...

Does anyone still get the annoying screen flicker once they begin playing BF3???

I never have, but I think that was resolved in one of two ways:

Driver update or disabling hardware acceleration in the browser.

Yeah, process sounds right. The game menu is a damned website. It's massive fail, and the game isn't even fun for me to boot. In my mind they seriously failed in making this game.

The installation process is hardly a reason to discount the game, it only happens once...

I also don't understand why there is so much hate towards battlelog I think its great! I feel like they integrated it perfectly...

BF3 <<<<<<< BFBC2 in every way possible. Literally.
Putting jets back doesn't count when I can walk faster than they can fly. '400' is your top speed? Really? What, Knots? A passenger jet from the 50s flies that fast. I can't do mach 2 any more? Why is that so consoletards can get hits on the planes? And the helicopters fly like they're stuck in honey. Just a giant trash fest. I never play it. And when I do my eyes roll back into my head within five minutes.

I agree, I really have no issues with Battlelog. Granted, I wish there was in-game voice chat built in (so you didn't have to party up with someone in order to chat with them over VOIP) but other than that I've had next to no issues. The friends list works better than I expected (which means that it works), in comparison to previous Battlefield games where the server browser and especially friend-support was crap or absent. The stat tracking is all implemented in an easy to use format which can be viewed anywhere (so you don't have to install the game at work to show someone your stats [granted: I am aware of sites like BF2S/etc] or even chat with your friends/etc.

I'm not a fan of jets anyway as I find that they really don't have much use other than to take down helicopters (which other choppers could already do)

I enjoyed both BC2 and BF2 for their own reasons, but I prefer the infantry combat better in BF3 (at least for the most part, I actually liked the destruction in BC2 more, despite it not being as pretty). I also like leveling up in BF3 the most of any of the BF games as I consistently have something to work for even though I'm level 46 now I am still unlocking weapons, attachments, and have assignments to do. The leveling carrot is in a much better place in BF3 than it was in BF2 where the levels become so spread out eventually that you are taking days of play time to get to the next one because of the exponential XP growth.

Last edited:
Granted, I wish there was in-game voice chat built in (so you didn't have to party up with someone in order to chat with them over VOIP) but other than that I've had next to no issues.

This is really the only bad thing I can think of wrt battlelog.

^ I definitely agree with the poor Jet implementation.

A helicopter in a dive in BF2 (2005) can swoop in, smoke a tank in one rocket volley, and pull away with enough inertia to fly like a plane over a hill top and get out of the way in the SAME amount of time that a jet can swoop in and do the same thing in BF3 (2011)

A BF2 jet with afterburner could easily destroy a tank, reload bombs at base, and destroy another tank, and be rearming again in the amount of time it takes to set up a single pass on a single tank, properly pull out, and set up again in BF3. So pathetic. I got it because they were bringing back jets. So, as a logical person, I figured BFBC2, which I like, + jets. I will buy this. Then I get it and the jets are like hamsters with parachutes attatched to them. They have two settings: Tar and honey. It's these damn console 'gamers' with their horrid little <$200 boxes and inferior controls and their whining. We all know they could never get on and shoot down a BF2 jet, because they can't play as well as us, so EA/DICE nerfed the jets out. Did they have to nerf the helicopters too though? The helis nerf about 40% from BF2 to BC2 and then nerf another 40% from BC2 to BF3. You can't use crazy aerobatics to avoid fire in your (anything) in BF3 because it's too damn slow. I've seen paint dry faster.

THe website thing has been beaten into me so hard, I admit I don't really care anymore.. An interface or another, whatever. The advantage for me is that you can have the window up while you do other stuff. But even then, with 16GiB ram, alt-tab is pretty effortless.

What if you purchase and download BF3 from Steam, would you still need Orgin to play the game?

Sounds like a lot of marketing niche.. I bet its loaded with Facebook and Twitter "follow me"

Why can't PC games be like they used to be....Like original COD, and BF2.

What if you purchase and download BF3 from Steam, would you still need Orgin to play the game?

Sounds like a lot of marketing niche.. I bet its loaded with Facebook and Twitter "follow me"

Why can't PC games be like they used to be....Like original COD, and BF2.

The game isn't on steam, nor is any other EA game. A nd there isn't any social networking stuff built in to it, at least not twitter or Facebook.they have their own thing that could be looked at a that but it isn't to that level

Back