• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What needs to be upgraded?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

Im currently starting to get more and more frustrated by my server/web rig..Slow and useless lol, takes forever for a folder to load and forever for firefox or chrome to open up... and after playing a facebook game for a while it will slow down the entire computer for a minutes when I stop..

Anyways here's the current specks, and no gaming is done other than facebook, it runs dual monitors and plays videos.. thats it, not even lite gaming...

All this is running stock settings on windows xp 32bit (dont want to run at the moment dont got the cash)

E6500 (775) @ 3ghz
Gigabyte G41m-ES2l
2GB DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Maxtor 100gb HDD Sata (Main disk drive)
4x Seagate 1tb ST3100034AS
3x Seagate 1tb ST31000528AS
1x 4 port raid card

umm, you will definately see faster load times, I just am not a fan of spending the kind of cash a ssd demands when working on an upgrade. but i dont have a ssd as i missed out on the good deals this past year on the crucial m4 i am waiting for them to drop in price again. but as i have been told ad read the difference in boot speeds and load speeds on a ssd are outstanding.

if you have the cash SSD should fix all the slowness and 2gb of ram is low i would atleast go up to 4gb that should help too.

i wouldnt get an ssd that small, but thats just my opinion. but yeah for sure upgrade your ram

ya 32gb would only have windows on it and thats it i would atleast get a 60gb but 120 is better and ya if you want 2x4 would be great i know right now im using 2gb just have a few pages of IE9 open and steam
but if your buget goes for 2x4gb of ram or 2x2gb of ram and a bigger SSD go for SSD

If you think you can fit windows + your most commonly used apps + fresh install of a new web browser + decently sized web cache on the 32gb then it will be fine.

Fresh install of windows would be good too.

I think you have a software problem, maybe a virus or spyware. A E6500 should be plenty fast for surfing and whatnot. My work rig is a prescott pentium 4 3.0ghz with 1gb ram and it is plenty fast for web surfing. How old is the XP install? It may be time to back up important files and format. I would do that before spending and cash on it.

I think you have other issues. While not a current screamer your system hardware is plenty fast. I suggest doing some software maintenance. Do you have viruses, spyware, outdated drivers bogging the system down. As far as hardware goes the number one thing you need right now is RAM. Not a new processor. You also need to figure out what is chewing up your system resources. Add at least another Gig of RAM for starters. Three or four years ago 2 Gigs was plenty but lately it seems like it takes 3 or 4 Gigs to make system run well. Are all your Windows updates installed? How often do you reboot. Do you have a piece of software leaking memory causing problems?

I see you answered most of my questions above. Find out what is loading when Windows loads. Also what virus and malware protection are you running?

I'd say a SSD (64GB) and 2 more gigs of RAM. As FX says your cpu is more than good for a htpc/browsing/office rig.
And a clean install of Windows would not hurt either.

I don't know if your mobo is Sata3 (6Gb/s) or not.
If not, don't bother going with last gen SSD's. A sata2 one like a Vertex or a Force serie, will do the job for much less money.

I'm running just a 2TB WD Black and from power on to keyboard is under 30 seconds. Prior to tuning my boot it took about a minute and a half. I took a full minute out tweaking the bios, tuning the disk for boot and getting rid of unnecessary startup programs. I still think you have software problems.

Back