• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless router, cell phone, and international calls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SK84

I'm deploying to Afghanistan in August. The connectivity is obviously spotty at best where I'll be heading. The thought just popped into my head and don't understand enough about it to validate it.

Could I use a wireless router to connect my cell phone to in order to make and receive calls from the US? If so, this would be absolutely awesome! If not, how could we make it work (if it can be done at all)?

Absolutely an option, but a cell phone would be much more convenient. And yes I do realize convenience and war zones don't necessarily go together!

Hhhmmmm..... what about the Skype app on my phone over the router?

get a majicjack. It will plug into the usb port of your web connected laptop or netbook and then you plug a regular phone into that. Anyone in the US will be able to call you from any phone and you will be able to call back to any phone in the US. It's about $70 which includes a year's worth of service. Plus there is no limit on the calls. You could be on the phone 24/7 365 and you will never see a bill.

Back