• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooling Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

highendpcgamer

Hello Everyone, I would like a little insite on doing a water cooling setup, this will be my first loop. I aim right now just to cool my CPU and add my GPU's Later. I have my parts picked out. I would like to know if these parts are any good, and any suggestions anyone may have. Is a full copper CPU block better then a Nickle Block? I know that you shouldn't make the two between blocks so I want to start out right. Also what would be the best flow config for my loop. This is what i thought Res>Pump>120rad>CPU>320rad>Res
I will list my parts and system specs below. Pics of my current setup can be found here. http://dcc.is-a-geek.com/Custom_Computers.htm

Water Cooling Parts:

Pump Swiftech MCP655 12VDC Pump
CPU Block EK Supreme HF Universal Rev3 Full Copper
Coolent EK Ekoolant Premium 1L UV Blue
Reservoir Phobya Acrylic Dual 5.25" Bay
Tubing PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro 1/2-3/4 10ft UV Blue
360 Rad Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow
120 Rad Black Ice GT Stealth 120
Fans Thermaltake AF0032 120mm LED Blue
Straight Compression Enzotech BCFS 1/2-3/4
45 Compression Bitspower Dual Rotary 45-dregree 1/2-3/4
90 Compression Bitspower Triple Rotary 90-degree 1/2-3/4
QDC Male Koolance QDC Male 1/2-3/4
QDC Female Koolance QDC Female 1/2-3/4

System Specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower
Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6Ghz (O.C) 4.4Ghz 1.35v
Cooling: CoolIT Systems ECO-ALC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16GB
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850's in CrossfireX
Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer 1000W Modular
SSD: Corsair Nova 32GB Sata2
Storage: 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB in Raid 0

I'm just gonna address the copper vs nickel thing, don't take my lack of comments on your list as approval, I didn't read it (sorry, time runs low).

THEORTICALLY, the full copper will perform better than the nickel plated block. Nickel has (slightly) less ability to transmit heat. REALISTICALLY, however, because the nickel is so thin, and heat transfer is a function of the thickness of the medium (among other things), the difference you will see in your loop will be LITERALLY none. The equipment you would need to actually FIND the difference between the two is more expensive than any build that's ever come through here...probably more expensive than most of them combined lol. What matters more than copper or nickel is block design. A good block in aluminum (DON'T GET AN ALUMINUM BLOCK, THIS IS AN EXAMPLE ONLY) will beat a crappy block of copper, silver...anything but unobtainium really.

Thanks m0r7if3r, I didn't think there much of a difference, I know you shouldn't mix metals in a water cooling system. The block I have picked out I have saw nothing but good reviews on. I'm not the type of person to just fill my glass half full, I want to do this right the first time with room for expansion. I just like friendly advice from anyone who will give it.

Update**
From reading forms and reviews I will be switching my coolant method to distilled water, and use additives.

Mixing metals is bad. Once you understand the actual science behind the blanket statement.

Another thing to learn.

Brass/copper/nickle/chrome etc are close enough in the scale of things to not worry about.

Thanks, Conumdrum, Still looking for advice or comment for my loop. Thanks everyone so far!

read this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697140
and especially follow the links m0r7if3r posted in post #4.

The fans are one of the hardest things to choose. I just went through what you going through - choosing a radiator and fans. I settled on the black ice gtx360 and gentle typhoon ap-14 fans. There are higher speed gentle typhoons that will give more airflow and better cooling but they are a good bit louder too. It depends on how much noise you are willing to put up with. Static pressure is often more important than manufacturers overrated CFM. You can have a fan that blows a lot of air when it is used as a case fan and does junk when attached to a radiator - especially the gtx360. The radiator you chose isn't as demanding of static pressure as the GTX but you still have some research ahead of you.

Good to see you decided to go with distilled water. You might want to use silver instead of additives.

The pump you chose is very good.

I'm not sure if compression fittings are better than standard barbs with clamps.

You may want to get some coils for the tubes if you'll have any tight bends.

Thanks robble for that info and input, I would like to do a thicker 360 Rad but I don't think I can pull it off in my nzxt phantom case, I already got some serious Modding to do with current Rad choice. I have already decided on using silver in the Res as well. I'm hoping to get a little more input as far as fans and direction of flow for the loop. Any suggestion anyone please post thanks!

Back