• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing the PSU fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boxingblue

I'm new to this so be gentle.

I have a zoostorm PC. I don't need it to do much, that's why I bought it. It's fine, fast, couldn't ask for much more really. Only problem is the PSU fan is really loud. So I was wondering, could I just get a 80mm fan and just swap the one in the PSU for that? So using a normal 80mm fan, any ideas?

This is the one I had in mind. I'm just worried it won't fit in the case or something.

Should I post the dimensions of the PSU to help you guys out?

http://www.ebuyer.com/138590-xilence-red-wing-80mm-quiet-fan-3-4pin-connection-xilence80

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/234908-xilence-case-fan-80mm-black-coo-xpf80

I don't need anything amazing. Just something quiet. It's a 300W PSU I think, not a high load on it. Just what it came with. CPU/RAM/HDD/DVDRW.

Thanks.

Well if you go swapping the fan out the psu, it's warranty will be voided. If you're set on swapping it, it's not hard to do at all. Just follow the fan's orientation as you'll want it to blow out of the unit. Remember red wire is positive and black wire is ground (negative). Guides can be found around here .

Either fan will work as they're both 80mm.

Have fun, be careful.

Thankyou for the swift reply!

My only concern is the width of the fan. Will it be too big to fit inside the PSU? Or are they all a standard size?

Cheers

It's rare to find any 80mm 12v fan that are thicker than standard. If your new fan comes with 3 wires, you can safely ignore it as it's mainly used for RPM monitoring.

Gotcha. Cheers guys. I've gone with the Xilence Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan.

Should arrive Monday! Hopefully all goes well.

:)

One last question. Do you think 1500RPM/19.6CFM is sufficient for the PSU? I won't be resistor modding this down, so it will be @ 12V 100% of the time.

EDIT:

I've gone with this one instead:

80mm Panaflo FBA08A12L Black Hydro Wave Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan Ultra Low Noise DC Brushless 2Pin

130261-a.jpg

More CFM/RPM. Also it's cheaper. It's a bit louder at 21Dba though, how loud is that btw?

I guess the 2 pin makes life a bit easier..

All done :D.

It's a bit quieter, not as much as I expected :(. Oh well, thanks anyway guys!

Back