• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD mobo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2P IL or M-C is just barely faster than a 3930K running a decent OC. I don't see a good reason to do it that way. Buy a 4P board and put 2 CPUs on it if you don't want to fork out the cash at once.

My problem is coming up with $500 or more for a mobo all at one time.:(

If you go with something like Ubuntu 10.10, it's as easy as installing Windows, maybe easier, certainly faster. You don't even have to uninstall Windows, Ubuntu will take empty space and install there.

If you go with something like Ubuntu 10.10, it's as easy as installing Windows, maybe easier, certainly faster. You don't even have to uninstall Windows, Ubuntu will take empty space and install there.

Will try. We have a install thread here?

Just getting info. Think I will stick with SR2 and learn how to install Linux.:D
Its a slightly less difficult then tying your shoes....the Hardass part is making sure you D/L the 64 bit version.:)

I am lost, where do I start if not using VM?
Do you mean to install Ubuntu or to set up fah after the install?

For the Ubuntu install follow this: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
but use the 10.10 download from ChasR's directions. There are screenshots for everything.

For the f@h install you can start here in Chasr's directions:

12. Wait for the GUI to start and then log in. You now have a working Linux guest in the VM and can install FAH any way you want. For those who need FAH installation instructions, read on for a v6.34 guide using the GUI (for the most part)

13. Open a terminal (Applications,Accessories,Terminal)and type mkdir -p FAH, which will create the FAH folder in your home directory.

14. Open Firefox and browse to here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download . Download (save the file)v6.34 for Linux and BSD. It should be the first selection.

15. Using places browse to the Downloads folder. Right click on FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz, select open with archive manager, extract, and browse to the FAH folder you created earlier. Close all the open windows.

16. Browse to the FAH directory, right click on fah6, select Properties, permissions and check the allow executing file as a program box.

17. In System, Administration, select Update Manager and update. Don't upgrade to 11.04 as it will take forever. If you want to use 11.04 install it instead of 10.10. Creating another VM for 11.04 is faster than upgrading 10.10.

18. Browse to the FAH folder, right click on the folder, select sharing options, check the share this file. Samba will install. After Samba installs, restart your session, browse to the FAH folder, right click, sharing options and check the allow guest access and allow others to create and delete files box. Now you have the FAH folder shared on the network.

19. Hit Applichations, Accessories, text editor. Type:
cd ~/FAH
./fah6 -configonly

Save the file to the desktop as FAH -configonly

Delete the -configonly from the file and save as FAH start.

20. Right click on both FAH icons on the desktop, propreties, permissions, check the allow executing the file as a program box.

21. Double click on the FAH -configonly icon and configure FAH. Be sure to enter -smp and -verbosity 9 in the extra parameters of advanced configuration. Optionally you can add the flags to the shortcut.

22. Double click on FAH start and you're folding.

and then a question for ChasR ? If one would want to use the "The Kracken" they should read those directions first correct? It looked like theKracken wants the fah install to be in a certain place. I am asking this myself as well for when I get my parts for a 4P rig. Or do your directions already have fah in the correct place?
Thanks

Last edited:
So I want the Desktop CD download for 64bit?
Yeah not the server, the desktop 64 bit version will give you a nice GUI. I prefer the USB version myself...if you have a spare one. There are directions for making it bootable if you check the USB version in the guided instructions.

In windows after you have downloaded the Ubuntu file you want to use... Quote from the Ubuntu Guide:

The easiest way to get up an running with USB is to use the USB installer provided by pendrivelinux.com. You’ll need to download and install using the link below. Then follow the instructions.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.7.8.exe

Last edited:
Yeah not the server, the desktop 64 bit version will give you a nice GUI. I prefer the USB version myself...if you have a spare one. There are directions for making it bootable if you check the USB version in the guided instructions.

Thank you.:thup:

Seriously. I am likely the biggest Linux dummy on this board, and I recently made a bootable flash drive, booted into Ubuntu, liked it, hard installed it and had everything (including wireless network) except the AMD card drivers running in half the time it takes to do a windows install. It's really that easy, and the experience made me a Linux convert. I've since tried Mint and a few other "user friendly" distros and none were hard.

You do need to be comfortable with command-line though. Ubuntu is point and click GUI and very pretty, but with folding most things you'll be wanting to do will be command-line based through a console.

I see now why some folks call Windows "Wintendos" because for the average user, anything you can do in windows you can do in Linux, and probably faster. The exception is gaming. Hence Wintendos :p

Last edited:
I installed the kraken on a Q6600 rig with 11.04 just cutting and pasting the instructions from tear, as I recall. (It doesn't do anything for a C2Q, BTW).

You don't need ext3 if you have an SSD or install Linux on the same HD with Windows.

No this rig is already up and running the Win SMP client. Do I just stop it, do I need to uninstall it? Then just install Ubuntu 10.10? Also can I run the gpu client also?

Back