• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need a live CD solution for file recovery / transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Have an older laptop running XP with either 100 GB or 200 GB of files I need to get off it. I can't remember the password for it, and I don't have my little 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter so I can't just stick it in a desktop.

I booted an xubuntu CD... but I can't see my internal HDD? (apparently) But I guess in Ubuntu I don't even know how to go about doing that.

Anyway, what I need is a live CD to pop in my machine (XP 2800+ M, 512 MB RAM) that'll boot up and likely have my WLAN driver. If not, a USB HD can be used. I just need something that will mount my NTFS partition and let me take ownership and copy the files over to a USB drive, let me share them, or let me place them in a network share on another computer.

Only looking for an ISO that can do exactly what's stated above, should be a fairly common procedure but I'm just out of the loop.

Actually, I just remembered something equally as good, if not better. Does anyone know of a good password reset distro for XP? I've had one in the past for anything NT4 - Vista that worked like a charm, it finds your install and gives you an option to change any user's password.

I'll have to search for that, I remember a good one being hard to find.

You sir are correct! That's an impressive looking software package that I'm sure I'll be using beyond this issue...

-easily reset windows passwords with the improved winpass tool
-simple and easy menu interface
-5 different virusscan products integrated in a single uniform commandline with online update capability
-full ntfs write support thanks to ntfs-3g
-winclean, a utility that cleans up all sorts of unnecessary temporary files on your computer.
-clone computers over the network via multicast.
-wide range of hardware support (kernel 2.6.35 )
-contributed backup utility called "pi", to automate local machine backups
-easy script to find and mount all local filesystems
-self update capability to include and update all virusscanners + local changes you made to TRK.
-full proxyserver support.
-run a samba fileserver (windows like filesharing)
-run a ssh server
-recovery and undeletion of files with utilities and procedures
-recovery of lost partitions
-evacuation of dying disks
-full read/write and rpm support
-UTF-8 international character support (select keyboard language from the scrollable textmenu at startup)
-2 rootkit detection uitilities
-most software updated to recent versions
-literally thousands of changes and bugfixes since version 3.3
-elaborated documentation, including manpages for all commands (also TRK 's own)

That's going in my bookmarks!

I've used this for virus remove, it has a lot of different virus scanners... does a good job

I'll have to keep that in mind when working on other people's systems. Virus protection / removal... that's where I REALLY loose touch. I'm fairly good at judging a book by it's cover in the software / internet world, and haven't really had any issues with viruses in years (even without running antivirus), but see a lot of the typical Windows users with em...

^ Not quite applicable in my situation, I didn't need to rescue any damaged data or partitions - just access it and move it. Ended up simply using the windows password reset out of ease.

Back