• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6100 $139 After Promo Code @ NewEgg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tempted Is it worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962

$10 off w/ promo code HARDOCPX2X1A, ends 2/7

$139 is not too bad for this CPU. Figured I would share even if most of you saw it already.

I was thinking about this along with the Gigabyte MB 990UDA 3 for$287.00 out the door but was wondering if its an upgrade from my old Quad Core 8400 and Neo Geo 2 MB.

I already have 8 GIGS of DDR 3 memory from G skill.

i'm confused

Basically what bulldozer has as a "module" is a mix of dual-core and hyperthreading [although done differently]. They end up sharing floating point but have separate integer point modules. Thus they have OK integer performance but sub-par floating.

With that said, 2500k is a more powerful cheap in pretty much anything that requires <4 threads, while 6100 is sometimes better in bigger thread environments.

tl;dr: 8100 [more speed, more cache then this] vs 2500k and 2600k
AMD_FX-8150-202.jpg

oh i see so:
cores * threads = AMD putting total number of threads on box (?)
so the "six" core is really a tri core with 2 threads per core?

either way it sounds like i would be better off with a 960T

Basically what bulldozer has as a "module" is a mix of dual-core and hyperthreading [although done differently]. They end up sharing floating point but have separate integer point modules. Thus they have OK integer performance but sub-par floating.

With that said, 2500k is a more powerful cheap in pretty much anything that requires <4 threads, while 6100 is sometimes better in bigger thread environments.

tl;dr: 8100 [more speed, more cache then this] vs 2500k and 2600k
AMD_FX-8150-202.jpg

This is all true but are those benchmarks from launch? which OS were those benches tested with? Windows 8 will enhance BD architecture by at least 10% or more in most instances. The backported patch for Windows 7 is not coded to provide the full enhancement that the new OS will provide. So the "tri-core" 6100 will have better numbers than what was reported. Plus we have to factor in the applications that are tailored for Intel. Is it true that Intel had some app devs put a AMD Kill code to make their benchmarks look worse?

This thread is not the place to have this argument on whether it's a triple core or hex core processor. This thread is for the deal not the architecture.

muddocktor
Forum Staff

Back