• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3R + E6600 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RetroRepair

I have successfully overclocked my E6600 to 3.2ghz on stock air with dual Kingston Hyper X DDR2 on this motherboard by changing:

Clock ratio = x8
Host frequency = 400
Performance enhance = standard
DDR2 voltage = +0.2v
PCI-E OverVoltage = +0.1v
FSB OverVoltage = +0.1v
MCH OverVoltage = +0.1v
CPU OverVoltage = 1.38125v

It runs quite happily and stress testing shows it's quite happy but once it's been on for a while, if I reboot, it no longer posts and the bios resets host freq to auto.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? I do notice the chipset heatsink gets very hot but it does that even without overclocking.

Any help would be appreciated!

What's the exact model of RAM installed including quantity, and the current DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage? And are you sure you need to supply >1.38V Vcore for only a 800MHz overclock? What does CPU-Z show as the loaded Vcore while running Prime? And use either Core Temp or Real Temp to locate and post the VID of your chip.

RAM installed is 2x1GB Kingston Hyper X. The text on them doesn't mean a lot to me but here it is anyway:

KHX6400D2K2/2G
99C5316-026.A00LF K2
3513821-0928185 2.0V

All I get from that is it's PC6400 running at 2v?

DRAM info from the BIOS:

Memory Frequency(mhz) 667 1000
Timing Auto

DDR2/DDR3 Voltage 2.160v

And are you sure you need to supply >1.38V Vcore for only a 800MHz overclock?

No not at all, I'm just going by what others have achieved using a similar setup. I'm a bit out of my depth here to be honest, I've not overclocked a CPU since my AMD-K6 days.

What does CPU-Z show as the loaded Vcore while running Prime? And use either Core Temp or Real Temp to locate and post the VID of your chip.

I'll try and get this info in a bit.

The spec's for those DDR2-800 modules are 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V. In order to find out what the current DRAM frequency and timings are, open CPU-Z to the Memory tab and post the info. At a FSB of 400MHz the DRAM frequency should be 400MHz (DDR2-800; 1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio), w/ the timings set to the modules rated 5-5-5-15.

Ok, the memory tab in CPU-Z:

cpuzv.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-09

And for the heck of it the CPU info:

cpuz2e.jpg

Shot at 2012-02-09

This was taken on the rare occasion the PC let me overclock. It runs fine but when I reboot, chances are it'll revert back. I can see however the ram is clocked too high at 500mhz but not sure how I'd change that as the bios isn't clear what I should change.

Change the System Memory Multiplier to 2.0, whereas at a FSB of 400 MHz x 2.0 = DDR2-800. The DRAM multiplier is currently at 2.5 (400 MHz x 2.5 = DDR2-1000 / 500 MHz). Then change the four primary timings to 5-5-5-15...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Ok so I finally managed to check my bios and in system memory multiplier the minimum it gives me as an option is 2.5 :(

What should I do then?

If the 2.00 option isn't viewable or hidden, try using the up / down arrow keys after highlighting the System Memory Multiplier option and hitting Enter... or just set the SPD option to Auto.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 134
Well I'm an idiot, I didn't notice that further down there was a 2.00 option so I've set it and decided this time to leave the voltages as stock. It wasn't stable so I added the voltages as I quoted above and it seems to be running ok at the moment. It did take a while to screw up before though so we'll see.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it. Fingers crossed :)

Back