• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed re: missing second 12v 4pin CPU Plug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nig451964

Hello

I am putting together a system which will use two Xeon L5420's on a X7DCA-L.

Today I received the motherboard and the CPU's with a view to purchasing the relevant heat sinks and ram tomorrow.

What I am stumped with is that the PSU I have which is a Sumvision PowerX3 Pro 800watt only has a single 4 pin CPU plug. Is it safe to take the supply from molex rail and use that ? ( I have seen cables which can supply power from the molex to 8pin CPU plug ) ..

(the socket(s) on the motherboard are for 1x24pin + 1x8pin

Hope someone could point me in the right direction.

Best Regards

Nig451964.

Might want to return that PSU

800W and only has a 4pin CPU?
I looked it up and see
70% efficiency, that efficiency achieved at 25C testing (vice the more standard 50C).

I would not use that to power a dual Pentium 3 board let alone a couple of quad cores.

PIck one from the list in my signature. You dont want a poor quality PSU. Those are 50W TDP CPU's IIRC, so I would imagine, if you arent playing games and getting a monster GPU, a simple 400W will do.

PIck one from the list in my signature. You dont want a poor quality PSU. Those are 50W TDP CPU's IIRC, so I would imagine, if you arent playing games and getting a monster GPU, a simple 400W will do.

I know your right, and.. in an ideal world yes I would get one of those. However... I am stuck on a budget of £40 - $63. When combined with the other purchases I have made I have pretty much blown this 'years' budget so really trying to think of ways to costs down. It's not like I can go over budget, there is simply not the money in the bank to do so.

Going back to my original question. I have seen a cable which connects from the 12v Molex and takes it down to the 12v 8pin power for the motherboard socket. Is this an alternative in the short term?

There are plenty of totally functional good quality PSUs for ~$63.
Top of the list is the corsair 430w. Another decent one is the Thermaltake Smart 430w.

Definitely get a better (even if lower wattage) PSU.

While it is not recommended to use Molex to 4pin for CPU power you can probably get away with it for that setup :)

Definitely get a better (even if lower wattage) PSU.

While it is not recommended to use Molex to 4pin for CPU power you can probably get away with it for that setup :)

I will get a better psu thanks all for the sub £40 suggestions , Its become a sore point between me and the mrs over the last couple of weeks and I dare not say I cannot deliver her a system which she can use to browse ebay. ( xeons.. I know I know... )(but had to have some fun on the way !).

Thanks guys !

Back