• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

960t Vs. 6100fx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kraver

Registered
I currently have 970BE and want to upgrade to 6 or 8 cores depending.
but if i go x6 i was wandering which "960t or 6100fx" was beter for price? or if it was worth going from what i have now "970be" to either 6 core chip. I do alot of heavy gameing. I heard alot of ppl saying phenom is still better than Fx chips. Im just likeing the lvl3 cache on the fx chips:D

I currently have 970BE and want to upgrade to 6 or 8 cores depending.
but if i go x6 i was wandering which "960t or 6100fx" was beter for price? or if it was worth going from what i have now "970be" to either 6 core chip. I do alot of heavy gameing. I heard alot of ppl saying phenom is still better than Fx chips. Im just likeing the lvl3 cache on the fx chips:D

You actually have more than one question and going to give an opinion/answer for each as I try to break them out of your post.

1. > it was worth going from what i have now "970be" to either 6 core chip. I do alot of heavy gameing. = Probably n0t. Plus certainly not considering the purchase price of a complete new CPU for only a tiny gain in gaming if even that. I would clock the 970 BE some more and see if it gives me any gains.

2. > I heard alot of ppl saying phenom is still better than Fx chips. = That probably depends on who you really are listening to. In most of the mostly single threaded benchmarks that we have lived and died by over the last decade, the Phenom2s still probably holds a little edge. In other 'work' things that computers do well such as video rendering and photo editting and crunching the crap out of numbers, the FX probably holds its own.

3. > to either 6 core chip - You take far too much for granted. You believe that all 960T's unlock to 6 cores and lately, more and more, the core #5 has been bad and could not be used. That makes them no more than 5 core processors.

4. > While I type this I cannot see your signature, but I think you have 620 type closed loop water cooling rig. IF you got an FX-6100, that loop is not powerful enough to take an FX-6100 to its' real top speed. It takes something on the order of the dual fanned, long radiator H100 to keep temps in check at 4.4-5Ghz which the FX cpus need to go to keep up with the Phenom2 type processors.

5. So it really comes down to you just got to buy something. If you do have that itch, then scratch it with one that has the L3 catch that seems to intrigue you, just know you were told what to look for before you even made the move. Well advised the best anyone can do so with the many variables connected to computers and little pieces of silicon.

thx, i apreciate all the info :D I didnt think there was much to gain from the 970 to either chip i mentioned. so ill probly go 8 cores and a new H100 when i do the leap

Unless your willing to replace your motherboard and go with a 9x0 chipset board dont even bother looking at FX. They are some very solid performers. While there 32bit single thread performance lags behind that of the previous generation(only slightly and only on FP calculations) they are multi thread, multi task monsters. I am still learning new things about my FX almost every day. Right now I have my 8120 running 4.2ghz @ 1.25v core(down from 1.325) and its as stable as it was before, BUT running at 35c under handbrake 1080p content(@1.325vcore it would be at 50C+ right now). All of that said the 8xx series boards barely support the FX chips they do not have all of the features/compatibility for the FX that the 9X0 boards do.

All of that said the 8xx series boards barely support the FX chips they do not have all of the features/compatibility for the FX that the 9X0 boards do.

Yeah man but they do sort of compute on 8xx boards and that is all anyone wants to hear.

Back