• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damaged RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lightbox

Does anyone know how I can repair this?? :mad:

Picture doesn't work for me, it wants a login when I try to go straight to the URL.

I think it does.. In the website where I bought the RAM it says that it has lifetime warranty..

it looks like pin number 5 (from the left) is black it maybe just dirty you could try cleaning that pin but Rma if that does not work

Oh! Totally missed that. I'd RMA. Have you tried another stick in that slot? There is a chance it is the mainboard, not the RAM.

Yeah.. That slot works.. I`ve tried my other 2gb stick there (it is same as this one)

Hmmm I used a sharp pencil to repair that RAM.. One of my DDR3 slots doesn`t work now..

how did you use a pencil? and what for?
when i said clean i mean with rubbing alcohol and Qtips (and carefuly)

I assume he means using the lead in the pencil to "replace" that pin. Similar to when we used to do pencil volt mods. If so some of the lead might have come off and shorted out the ram slot?

I assume he means using the lead in the pencil to "replace" that pin. Similar to when we used to do pencil volt mods. If so some of the lead might have come off and shorted out the ram slot?
Exactly.. That RAM is working perfectly in the other slot..

Yea, you might be SOL then. You might try carefully checking in the slot to see if there is something obvious in there, if not then it might be a good time to look at upgrading. :D

Here's the pinout for DDR3 desktop modules:

http://buffalo.jp/products/b-solutions/oem/pdf/60026902-01.pdf

Apparently pin 5 is a ground (Vss), which could mean you can still use the module because there are so many other ground pins (dozens), including on pins 2 and 8 and on the opposite side of pins 1, 4, and 7.

Usually a darkened pin is due to a short that causes arcing and forms carbon, in which case a pencil eraser might clean it up. Using pencil lead to draw a new contact won't help. I don't understand how a ground pin like #5 can arc, unless the module was inserted at an angle, even backwards. Notice that pin 236 on the opposite side, located 5 pins from the edge, is a voltage supply for the SPD chip, probably around +3V.

Back