• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC build input request (help a budda out)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmycent

wuddup fellas, been long time lurker first time poster. Like to think I have researched this a fair bit before making this post but before putting order through would like some feed back.

wanting to do all the usual garb that a HTPC is expected to do quietly and efficiently although not fussed about TV yet, but might be in the future.

so heres the build

Scythe Shuriken Low Profile Cooler Rev B

Seasonic S12II 430W Power Supply

Logitech Harmony Remote

LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive

Intel Pentium G620

ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB Low Profile

ASRock H61M/U3S3 Motherboard B3

G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) DDR3

Silverstone Grandia GD04 HTPC Case Black

TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCIe Adapter

Going to be reusing a 1tb drive from main tower untill prices recover from the floods.

Have looked into the AMD lanio or what ever there called, but pretty sure i want intel for future upgrade paths and control over all components that go in, eg GPU, CPU, not an all in one. Things im left a bit unsure about is the mobo and is it worth the extra 60 bucks going for a i3 2100

Anyway, if the brains around here wouldnt mind looking it over and giving your opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys and look forward to your input

Another Aussie. Sweet.

Erm. For pure HTPC; without any gaming; you could use the onboard graphics on the Intel if you'd like (The G620 DOES have onboard. Its just called HD graphics, but performs similar to a HD 2000 IGP).. You can grab a single 4GB G Skill stick. I'd probably do that (21 bucks on PCCG).

Consider the Silverstone SFX 450W PSU. It's a good little psu.. And good for small builds like this.

Though your current choice is also solid. before I read the last few lines I was going to suggest the LLano route but you beat me to it :p.

If you can afford it.. Get an SSD.. Perhaps an OCZ Agility 3 (99 bucks on PCCG for a 60GB model). Which would make the entire user experience a lot smoother and nicer IMO.

The G620 should be more than enough; and I'd say you wouldn't need to upgrade..

I'm actually going to be making a HTPC from PCCG myself.. I've attached my wishlist at the moment.. Just waiting for funds.. (will be waiting for a while. ha) And I have no intention of expansion.. XD. I wish I could use your case though.. but I'm height limited due to my current setup =(

Attachments

• htpc.PNG
    htpc.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 104
Any reason the Silverstone over the one chosen? The one chosen has a 120mm variable speed fan compared to the 80mm in the silverstone (quieter). Also with the case, there is no need for smaller footprint (smaller getting warmer quicker?). Or am i missing something in the Silverstone?

Was also looking at the Seasonic M12II 520W Modular PSU for its modular features, but weighing up the $30 difference.

With the ram, thought about just the 1 stick, but then miss out on benefit of dual channel, and while unlikely, the possibility of a stick dying, you still have 2 ram going.

Will an SSD make the menu system that much quicker? I have an SSD in my main rig and love the speeds, but this system will most likely be on 24/7 going into sleep mode. Something I forgot to mention was will be looking at using 320 2.5 HD from broken laptop for the OS.

Appreciate your input, would still love to hear some more. Also please dont think I am brushing off your comments, just trying to explain my train of thought so you comment on that, and others can see issues to consider.

Still unsure on what to look for from the motherboard. whirlpool have a htpc guide but there intel mobo recommendations are $109-139 with no explanation as to why they chose the models they did.

My particular model choice was due to inbuilt wi-fi and blue tooth and passively cooled lol.

Eh was just for the smaller footprint, as far as noise goes, the fan on the silverstone will still remain quiet.. You'll never be pulling more than 100W or so anyway with your setup.. Stick to your first choice if you like. 500w+ is overkill for a HTPC.

There is no 'real' benefit to dual channel.. Not anything that you'd notice anyway. But that's up to you ^^. I mainly leave it a single stick just in case later you want another; you can get 8GB in dual channel, for cheaper than replacing both 2GB sticks for 2 4GB sticks.

I would say it's worth it.. SSD wise. SSD's don't mind sleep mode lol. Mine doesn't, and mines old :p. But if it extends the budget too much; then don't worry about it. It'd be nice, but definitely not necessary.

Decided to take onboard your suggestion of ram so that's going in, very close to ordering now but something I have been wondering is the worth of the CPU cooler. With quietness the over all goal would this money be better spent on 3 decent fans eg. Noctua etc keeping the system cooler keeping the stock CPU fan and gt430 from having to ramp up. Thoughts?

I bought a club 3d 6570 coolstream edition (no fan). Works very well. Just make sure it can fit. Price is almost same as a 430. But its much more powerfull. And 3d is free at amd cards. While nvidia charges money for the software to do it

Back