• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new waterblock or new connectors. looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

i have an apogee xt waterblock for my system. know the problem i have is that im using hose clamps to clamp down the hose to the barbs. if i tighten it too tight it leaks and spills water all over my motherboard, i fried my mobo last night, are there different connections i could use for this waterblock or something besides hose clamps. any thoughts or info would be apreciated thx.

It sounds like you did something wrong...can you post pictures of your setup, specifically the problem area?

You might be able to revive the board, clean it down with rubbing alcohol (use the alcohol to get the water up, it will evap much faster than the water, the goal is to prevent any residue from the water from being left on the board and forming a short circuit) and then set it out to dry for AT LEAST 24 hours...make sure it's BONE dry.

The mobo is dry know and I can't get it to post. The system will start up but wont post. The led display wont even come on. Not sure if its a dead cpu or mobo.

I have some worm drive clamps that work great with 1/2 id 3/4 od, but cause annoying leaks with 1/2 id 5/8 od hosing. Until i ordered a bunch of http://www.jab-tech.com/Plastic-Tubing-Clamps-Black-pr-3522.html i just switched over to zip ties with the 5/8 od tubing.

I would also take the whole system apart, and let it dry for several days, at least, before assuming anything is dead. I too let water leak all over a motherboard a few years ago, i waited almost 48 hours and still no post, bought a new motherboard and threw it in a box on a shelf for a few weeks. It worked after that, gave me another 18 months of life or so.

There may be some kind of green-whitish residue that is shorting something. Try to remove that with distilled water and then alcohol. As m0r7if3r said, remove all heatsinks and parafernalia, clean it with rubbing alcohol and make sure it's bone dry, let it dry for at least 24h.

I did smell some electrical burning when I powered the system up. It was at the most 5 seconds before I was able to shut the system down

I did smell some electrical burning when I powered the system up. It was at the most 5 seconds before I was able to shut the system down

That's not a very good sign at all. NEVER let the magic smoke out.

I have a feeling it's fried for good.

I prefer the spring band clamps myself. I had to switch to them back when I used grippy silicone tubing to prevent bunching/leaking like you've experienced.
Now I like them cause they always grip even after tubing shrinks, and needle-nosed pliers are easier to work with in a case than a screwdriver any day.

There was a bit of water in the cpu socket as well is it possible I could have fried the cpu as well? There are no visible burn marks on the cpu.

It's a possibility...I suggest you find a friend who can lend you a board and a CPU (some computer shops will do this) and test both to see where the issue is.

Could the type of tubing im using be contributing to the leak problem im having? Im using some black vinyl tubbing I picked up from home depot

so i blew out the motherboard and cpu. Finally got my system back up and running. when i went to get my new cpu i bought 8 gigs of ram just in case i blew out my memory as well. so i have an extra 8 gigs of ddr3 1600 memory sitting here. should i use this memory? or just take it back to microcenter and get my money back. is there any advantage to having 16gigs of memory over 8?

You'll have more IMC stress with more ram, which may limit your OCing attempts. That said, more ram can help performance...even if you lose clocks because of it. It really depends what you're doing.

Are you using a high pressure loop? Meaning high pressure at the head. I use to have the spring band clamps on my hose but realized that my water pressure was not high enough to leak. Now I don't use any clamps at all. Just some good barbs and a good tubing like Tygon. Using hose clams that clamp down too hard can actually hard the tubing by wrinkling it and kinking the edges causing a gap.

Back