• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeving power supply still a PITA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
nuff said.

While waiting for replacement power supply, I wanted to practice taking ATX plug apart using retired or dead PSU, and I dound that some comes apart very easy while other even Hercules can't get a single pin out.

It seems some brand are made with stiffer latching tab and is actually harder to loosen them for removal.

I am tempted to just cut the #%@^ wires, run sleeves onto them, solder the wires back together. I wanted to do the paracord sleeving and without taking the pins out, the result won't be quite as nice. :cry:

The problem is that the tools that are marketed are crap. They tend to break and are not made of the correct material that such a tool would require.

I started sleeving my psu. Used paracord, problem I had, is the cord wouldnt fit inside the connector, was way to big, so had to use heatshrink. And problem there was getting measurments perfect. the heatshrink wouldnt shrink enough to stay on the wire. So when Installed I had to push the coord+shrink into the connector.

I cut and put on new terminals on my pcie 6 pins. I only did the 4x 6pins that I shortened and a partial of the 8 pin cpu power. Took hours to do just those. Looks nice, but being ocd, and it not being perfect. It bothers me, howver if you didnt know any better you couldnt tell.

Just take your time and you will get it...

The mdpc tool works very well and is built with a reliable material. The only thing is its hard to justify for a price.

You can view the mdpc tool here: CLICK ME

Being a cheap *** however, I just used two staples from a industrial staple gun (more stable) and worked great, just took a little longer than it would if you had the tool.

Back