• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strider2552

Hey guys so I'm thinking about building a new PC and I have no idea what is good for the price and whatnot. It's not my first time building a PC, but it is my first time overclocking anything. The processor I want to get is the 2600K, but after that I don't really know what to get. Sorry this is going to be like multiple questions lol but I figured you guys would know what's best.

What motherboard would be good for overclocking? I was looking at the Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z but I was just curious if there were other motherboards that are similarly good but are cheaper, like the Asrock professional Gen3. I plan on using it for mostly gaming, so I figured overclocking it to 4.5 would be good? I've heard that the Maximus is one of the best, but it also might be overkill for just gaming and a 4.5.

Also, if I'm going to overclock it to ~4.5, what would be a good cooler? I know the Noctua is one of the best, but would it be more cost efficient to go with the Cooler Master 212? The case I'll be using is the CM Storm Trooper.

One last question, if I plan on using two 570's at some point in the future, would it be better for me to have a 1000w PSU or would a 750 be sufficient?

Thanks!

I would recommend the i7 2600k or the i5 2500k; both are easily overclockable to 4.5GHZ. The i7 is $100 more than the i5 but the i7 is faster. AMD has nothing going on right now and don't seem to be doing any high end stuff in the future so I would stay away from that sinking ship.
I don't know a lot about mobos I have a P8P67 pro and I love the new ASUS interface. It has the chipset for the 1155 overclocking and 3 PCI-e slots. It is crossfire compatible. And it works great for me.
As for cooling... I have the CoolerMaster 212 EVO and it works great. I think it is the best air cooler on the market right now. I run my i5 at 4.5GHZ and at 100% it tops out at 65c. At 5.0GHZ it tops out at 85c or so. It comes with 1 fan but also has the brackets to add a second 140 which I did recently. I haven't done benchmarking since I added it so I don't know what my new temps look like.
I am not sure about the PSU, I have a 650 and ran dual 6870s in crossfire but I don't know how much power the 570s require.

Good luck it sounds like a fun system.

750 should be fine (i think) and go with a i5 2500k for gaming the difference in the processors in marginal. This is a good mobo (i think) for over clocking and people have gotten a i5 2500k to 4.6 @ 1.35v also the mobo is 10% off

yea but you need a good power delivery and a mother board the overclocks well before you buy a mobo make sure that you research that mobo and see if it Overclocks nice or not.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I was looking at the 2600k vs the 2500k. I figured the 2600k would be better cause this PC has to last me 4-5 years. And it should be a great upgrade from what I'm running now, a quad 2.6.

I agree the Asus P8P67 Pro is a great Mobo it works well for me. The Bios/overclocking interface is easy to use and it runs well. It also has 3 PCIe slots for up to 3 video cards and it is crossfire ready (or the NVidia option).

well based off a psucalc on my pc you need 725watts of good power, for dual 570's i would look at the seasonoc 750 the crosair ax850(i have on my 2600k build)

I also have the maximus 4 extreme-z i love it. i like the color scheme, i love the debug ligh, the rog logo lighting up is cool to me.

I'll probably get an 850 psu, seems to be pretty solid and not much more expensive than a 750. Yeah I agree, I thought it looked cool too. But is the color scheme and the debug light worth an extra ~$100? It just seems like overkill for what I would be doing with it.

It depends on what you want. The colors are purely aesthetic so if you want you machine to look a certain way that's cool if not then there is no need.

the debug light has saved me lots of hassle, so imo yes. but you could look it up, it has 2 number spots which can give you codes which you then look in the book to find out whats wrong. quiet handy to me, i also like the rog connect

I meant the ROG light, not the debug light, in my last post, my bad. I thought the debug light was a feature that all motherboards had. My current motherboard has one of those and it's 4 years old.
Is there any noticeable difference between a P67 board and a Z68? I know the Z68 is newer but I don't understand why it would have hdmi ports or VGA ports on the motherboard itself with the video cards have those.

Those boards have onboard graphics, so you don't acctually need a GPU, but if you want to play any games your probably going to need one. when you install a GPU the on board graphics will be disabled so you won't be able to use those ports anymore.

Yeah that's what I thought but then it seems useless on these high end motherboards because they must know we are going to use a good GPU. I guess that's kinda like throwing in the floppy slot, although I don't even know if I have one of those drives sitting around anymore.

Those boards have onboard graphics, so you don't acctually need a GPU, but if you want to play any games your probably going to need one. when you install a GPU the on board graphics will be disabled so you won't be able to use those ports anymore.

Some come without integrated graphics because the assumption is that anyone spending that kind of money on a Mobo is not going to use it. eg my P8P67 Pro has no integrated graphics.

Back