• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy Fx4100 or I3 2120??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loveamegood

Registered
I am looking to buy one of these cpu's and wanted to know what would be better for me and my needs??
I need it for ripping Blu-rays, HD-DVD's, and standard DVD's to my harddrive for playback from my HTPC to my HD-T.V.
I also want to play some newer type games ect..
I know the fx4100 can be overclocked to 4-4.5Ghz so at this speed Im guessing it would run circles around the 2120 at stock speeds?
I want to stay around the $150.00 price range if possible for what ever cpu i get.
Thanks for the help in advance everyone..

P.s. please dont fan boy this post I like both and am just looking for the best bang for the buck...!!

My first question would be what motherboard do you plan to use either cpu in and does the motherboard support both cpus. Mobos support both Fx4100 or I3 2120??

If this is the mobo you plan to use with FX-4100 ASUS M3A78-EM then it will not work. The FX-4100 is not supported on that motherboard according to Asus Supported CPU website for ASUS M3A78-EM. Why I asked were either of your cpus supported by the motherboards you have since you do not mention any motherboard changes. NO onboard video with FX-4100 either.

OR are you going to change a mobo depending on which cpu you upgrade to?

The Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor (3M Cache, 3.30 GHz) also has built in video and can use the inbuilt video if the correct motherboard is used. The cpu uses Socket FCLGA1155.

My first impression was that you were looking for a cpu to upgrade one or the other of your current rigs in your signature. Neither of those cpus is supported by motherboards shown in your siganture.

Last edited:
I dont know yet what mobo for either but was thinking of cheap cheap LOL..
Maybe Micro atx for either or and I am thinking gigabyte 880 gma,or Gigabyte S2 am3+ or 1155 equivalent for 2120.
Im kinda leaning more for the fx4100 at $109 and buying 2 or 3 of them and overclocking the crap out of them.
when they burn up within say a year or two i always have a replacement or 2 laying around.
Or does that sound stupid??

Okay if we don't get too too distracted here am going to try something. I imagne you and I both are almost too old school. We have not kept up with what is going on in the world of cpus, chipsets and maybe software. Cheap is only as you view it in actual dollars one plans to spend. More electricity and heat to dispose of should be calculated in "cheap".

Now here is what you actually first say, >>"I need it for ripping Blu-rays, HD-DVD's, and standard DVD's to my harddrive for playback from my HTPC to my HD-T.V." << ah hah a goal with merit for sure.

So go and catch up on some of the new encoding technology. I will likely be around when your appetite is whetted. Read it close since you are the video encoding whiz and currently not myself. I am only trying to reveal new technology. It may not be of use to you.

Quick Sync: The Best Way to Transcode

Last edited:
Did a little more scratching around. Most of this stuff is pretty new and I doubt that more than just a few are fully tuned in. Maybe in forums where encoding is the premier topic. They might know better the/any pitfalls. Onward.

You got to decide what sort of encoding you want to do and how much of it. Then I expect the next thing to decide on is that "gaming" you mention and then the phrase "on the cheap". Lots of new stuff floating around that can make the old way of doing some things really slow compared to newer stuffs.
About 3/4s the way into the article.

Those words below are direct copies from the page at link...

Page #19
There’s not much to say except that Intel offers the go-to architecture for encoding, and we haven’t even turned on Quick Sync yet!

Page #20
Accelerated Video Encoding: APP Vs. Quick Sync

Mmmmm :( I guess i will just go with a I3 2120 or maybe the I3 2120t which runs at 35w since I had'nt noticed how power hungry the fx4100 was 95w vs. 35w seems like a no-brainer since I will be using pretty much as a home media server and keeping it running 24/7...

Back