• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i remove Arctic alumina epoxy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeCrappa

This stuff is HARD! man. i took the blorb off my gf3 ti500. luckily for me the arctic alumina didn't hold on to my gf3 core at all...it just came off nice and clean...but it was all stuck to my blorb. how do i take it off my blorb?

yes its epoxy. I HATE LAPPING! it hurts my puny little arms. i wish i could lap with my left arm too...but it feels so weird.

Possibly try freezing it and seeing if that makes it more brittle, make then you can smack it on the table and shatter and come right off. Or hopefull it would be eaiser to pry off.

can't pry...can't get under the epoxy....but that freezing and smacking up the epoxy sounds good... [walks to the freezer and puts blorb inside....waits]

Haha...sorry to hear it Joe. But I think your answer may just be "very carefully" or maybe "with lots of time, strength and lapping" whichever you choose. Good luck....glad its you and not me. :D

id try the freezer trick if that a no go then id just trow it away and get a new one (not worth the trouble IMo to lap it to take it off) since you can often get them for like 5-7$ on msg boards like [h] in the for sale/trade forum.

Yah, i used epoxy (Arctic Alumina) on my RAMSINKS (stupid, i know). Any way i can get THOSE off without pulling the RAM off?

How thick is the Epoxy. Just take a belt sander to it to remov ethe majority of it and then lap the rest.

I dunno abt Artic Alumina but for Artic Silver epoxy, I soak a cotton pad with nail polish remover and let it sit on the heatsink for a while, after a while the epoxy can be scraped off pretty easily.

let that thing sit in some ACTONE or NAIL POLISH
REMOVER. you should be able to rub it off after
that.

awww who says you can't lap a chip?? come on, be adventuresome ;)

i would think that the actone or nail polish remover would work, you just have to be really careful with it.

i even used lighter fluid once and that worked fine on a pentium
that i was removing some thermal goo from.

Acetone or nail polish remover will be ineffective on an epoxy once it's set. Your best bet (other than lapping, which is probably the safest) you can probably just use a heat gun to break down the epoxy and then scrape it off.

ok well its in the freezer right now...i'll take it out in a bit and try to jab the stuff off...i'm actually trying to make this blorb into a waterblock for my graphics card.

Back