• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any word on unlockable 7950's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Has anyone heard if the 7950s unlock like the 6950s did? that would be sweet if so.

Nope. They do not unlock. You can flash to 7970 bios it seems, but it does not unlock shaders.

Nope. They do not unlock. You can flash to 7970 bios it seems, but it does not unlock shaders.

? So you can flash the bios to a 7970 but it only bumps the core & mem speeds?

Bummer, I was hoping for unlockable 7950s. I had heard that the unlockable shaders & 2nd bios with switch had done nothing but increase overall sales for AMD on the 6000 series cards. Musta just been interwebs mythos.

It probably did increase sales a ton.
That said this is a new process, I imagine that the vast majority of 7950s are actually defective 7970 cores, as opposed to the first generation of 6950s that were just disabled 6970 cores.

yea amd probably never realized their 6950 sales increase was majorly due to fact you can unlock the cores to 6970. and feel like you gained something .. they should have used that considering the price they want for the new cards in comparison.

Back