• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Xp Randomly Resetting Everywhere!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would guess these issues are user related and NOT O/S related.

Not trying to point a finger but I guess I did anyway lol.

I would go to the system logs and in there you may find an explanation to your issues.If you have run XP for a while you get the feeling it tries to correct itself or drop the offending program prior to a crash.But I know for sure the Event Log will give you a precise time and listing of whats happening at the reboot or crash.

Right click on my computer and select Manage,then click on event log ....... G L

"I would guess these issues are user related and NOT O/S related."

I disagree, I think what is happening is since win xp hides the blue screen by just resetting (start, settings, control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery, automatically reboot) that the random resets are all just a bunch of different blue screens due to bugs in the O.S. or whatever (blue screens occur for just about anything and everything).

now everyone has to uncheck the automatically reboot thing, and report what their blue screens say.

I disagree I have built many many systems and have no random reboots,Hangs,Or inproper web page loading.Matter of fact the masses of people using XP will attest to this.Millions of systems cant avoid a major bug like random REBOOTS.

I am not saying there cant be a bug but MY Comment,,,,,,
USER related is a broad statement meaning,YOU may have hardware conflicts,software conflicts Ect...

Building computers can be a major pain in the arse but controlled step by step actions always produce answers........Go back to basics,trouble shoot that box.The issue is correctable it may mean a new Power Supply,Ide drivers,Nic drivers ect but that problem is least likely to be a MicroSoft issue and most likely your Configuration ............................................................................

diehrd (sorry I just kinda blab on)-

I know what you're sayin, but you know all windows systems especially in the 9x world had tons of blue screens. I even saw a movie of bill gates showing off usb in win 98 to an audience and then it BSODed on him!

Now we got windows 2k which has had two service packs already, and they are workin on the third. And everyone know windows 2k has the blue screens too (although I haven't seen once since I got rid of easy cd creator which screwed up thousand or millions of windows 2000 computers).

now there is windows xp and they are workin on the first service pack as I type. of course people will get BSODs but now they don't know they are getting them, because they are hidden. instead of people having any idea why a problem is occuring, only a very small portion of them get online and say their computer is randomly resetting (instead of sayinging I get stop error blah blah).
maybe this could have somethin to do with it:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

I love to blab on so dont worry about it lol this is what a forum is for.....................................................

See in that link it clearly says it is not A Win XP problem.This is what I mean when I state User Related Ie the drivers ,Ect

Also XP is not perfect I agree to that fully BUT it is the closest Microsoft has gotten when you look strictly at its stability.It has the best of 9X and the best of 2000 wrapped into 1.The darn CD burning program built in is actually very good which shocked me to death..........

Just for the hell of it have you ever looked at your event logs ??

"See in that link it clearly says it is not A Win XP problem."
yeah it is drivers, but I think that a user should never have a BSOD if they are using a good operating system. Of course that will never happen, but as long as all your hardware is working, the software should be good enough to prevent this type of thing from occuring. I do know that during a fresh install of winxp the computer just reset, and that could be drivers too since it did that while it was detecting the hardware and there are updates for the winxp setup program on the internet. memtest86 showed no memory errors on my computer. and yes I did and have looked at the event logs several times, but couldn't really track it down. I do know that the latest version of black ice claims to have fixed random bsod's in winxp, combined with the latest nvidia 23.12 WHQLs, aspi 4.70, and a few other things I just might be able to get it to work. I am trying xp again and I'll tell you if I can get it stable this time.

"The darn CD burning program built in is actually very good which shocked me to death.......... "
LOL, that is one of the things that was giving me problems:
http://www.m3dzone.com/article.php?sid=2132
I like Nero.

First, I have to disagree with those who say it is not an XP problem. I did not experience this phenomena with Windows 98SE. It only became apparent when I "upgraded" to XP. Therefore it is easy to come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the operating system. I also noticed this problem with both my older Abit ST6/1.2Gig Tualatin and my current Abit TH7-II/1.8Gig Northwood.

Second, I have noticed that the frequency at which auto-rebooting occurs is related to how far I overclock my processor. I am currently running a 1.8Gig Northwood on a TH7-II. At rated speed and voltage it never auto reboots. As I increase the FSB frequency the tendency to auto-reboot becomes greater. I can mitigate this tendency, to some extent, by increasing the CPU voltage. I found I can run at 117Mhz FSB (2.1 Gig) and 1.6 volts without a problem. At 120 MHz FSB (2.16 Gig) it will auto-reboot occassionally even at 1.625 volts. At speeds faster than 120 MHz FSB it will even auto-reboot while Windows is loading or immediately thereafter.

Third, this is a great forum for many reasons. One of these reasons is the incredible wealth of information available. Another is the more relaxed attitudes of the moderators. As a result, it is infinitely more enjoyable to use this forum as compared to a forum such as Anandtech where the moderators exercise unreasonably rigid policies and are lightning quick in chastizing users for really minor inconsequential issues. In other words, lets not focus so much on what is the absolute correct forum for a psot but better focus on resolving the posted problem.

I can only speak from my eXPerience with xp:
At first, when I was trying to OC a duron600 to a Gig, I was running XP and I hated it b/c of the random reboots. Later, I got my sig system and I run XP Pro and I have found it to be the most stable OS I have ever used. Here's a recent screenshot of the systeminfo command output: (notice the uptime)
systeminfo.jpg

QUOTE:
First, I have to disagree with those who say it is not an XP problem. I did not experience this phenomena with Windows 98SE. It only became apparent when I "upgraded" to XP. Therefore it is easy to come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the operating system. I also noticed this problem with both my older Abit ST6/1.2Gig Tualatin and my current Abit TH7-II/1.8Gig Northwood.

Second, I have noticed that the frequency at which auto-rebooting occurs is related to how far I overclock my processor. I am currently running a 1.8Gig Northwood on a TH7-II. At rated speed and voltage it never auto reboots. As I increase the FSB frequency the tendency to auto-reboot becomes greater. I can mitigate this tendency, to some extent, by increasing the CPU voltage. I found I can run at 117Mhz FSB (2.1 Gig) and 1.6 volts without a problem. At 120 MHz FSB (2.16 Gig) it will auto-reboot occassionally even at 1.625 volts. At speeds faster than 120 MHz FSB it will even auto-reboot while Windows is loading or immediately thereafter.

Overclocking supports my statement.The reboots are caused by the User not the O/S.I will be so bold as to state XP is the best of
the Windows programs.

I have never seen a bug so big in XP as to cause problems like reboots Unless the person building the system has overlooked a problem,Not dug deep enough to find the problem,or Overclocked the system.......

I agree with Diehard about overclocking. However, overclocking is only a contributing factor. I noticed from my own limited experience that Windows 98SE (or any of the even earlier versions) did not experience this particular problem. Therefore, I have to come to the conclusion that XP is not as tolerant to overclocking as 98SE was. I do not have a clue why any OS would be sensitive to this but it seems that it is.

well i am running a 49.6% overclocked (air-cooled) CPU (see sig) with Folding@Home running 24/7 on Windows XP Professional and my system has been up for 19 days at the present moment. i hardly think XP is intolerant of overclocking, more like intolerant of unstable systems.

just my 2 cents

I was having alot of problems with XP as well, mostly it would hit the BSOD (I had auto reboot disabled) right after I closed an Explorer window or shut down Kazaa after having a pretty decent load on the proc, it was like clock work u could almost predict when it would crash, and that was with a duron 900, however, as soon as I put in an XP proc (1600+) it has been stable without a single crash.... maybe coincidence... just food for thought...

Dimorphios

Back