• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New (1st) SLI Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

As you can see in my sig, I've got a single, kinda crappy 460 in my current rig. I'm building a new one & would like to think about SLI as an option. I'm not rich, and I'm looking at a limit of roughly $350. I'm planning on the i5-2500k in the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 board, and so far I'm looking at maybe 2x EVGA GTX 460 as my video solution. This is pretty much strictly for gaming (WoW/SWTOR/Tera/etc)

Should I consider a single, higher-end card instead? Is there another solution that is much better bang for the buck without being $400+?

Always appreciate the feedback you guys provide, thanks.

Im assuming a res of 1920x1080? I would go single card, like GTX570 or 560ti 448c. 2 of those cards in SLI would be pushing it, but would be ok really, with your current PSU.

I should've specified the other components- I'm putting in a 750W OCZ psu, so the power shouldn't be an issue. This is a totally new build.

Wish List:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
$229.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$204.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM
$79.99

(2) EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1363-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$299.98

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$94.99

OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
$109.99

Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
$119.99

In general, SLI gives you higher frame rate, but less VRAM. So if you want to play at very high resolution, single card is definitely the way to go. At 1920x1080, you can probably go either way. A 1GB 460 should be enough for that.

Still, at 1920x1080 I wouldnt SLI. Thats just me and my preference though (heat, power consumption, doesnt scale 2x all the time, sometimes you have to wait for best scaling). If you are good with those potential issues, than 2 460's are a solid choice and will outperform any card at $300 assuming proper scaling.

In general, SLI gives you higher frame rate, but less VRAM. So if you want to play at very high resolution, single card is definitely the way to go. At 1920x1080, you can probably go either way. A 1GB 460 should be enough for that.
How does SLI give you less VRAM? I'm aware you do not add up the VRAM in SLI/Crossfire, as in, its not shared. But the VRAM isnt LESS. If you have 2 2GB cards in SLI, each card still has all 2GB of its ram available.

Also, the higher the resolution (think 2560x1600 or multimonitor), generally the more one would need to go SLI/Crossfire. More pixels to push = more vram used, which you need more horsepower needed to push the pixels out.

SLI is definitely not as good as an equivalent single card, but often cheaper.
You need to elaborate a bit more on this point. :confused:

SLI doesn't give someone "less" vRAM than a single GPU, it's just isn't shared, so SLI has same amount of vRAM as a single card.

So, at high resolutions, SLI is a solution for increasing FPS into the playable range, but you need to make sure each individual card has sufficient vRAM before running them in SLI.

Last edited:
SLI doesn't give someone "less" vRAM than a GPU, it's just isn't shared, so SLI has same amount of vRAM as a single card.

So, at high resolutions, SLI is a solution for increasing FPS into the playable range, but you need to make sure each individual card has sufficient vRAM before running them in SLI.

+1

(2) EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1363-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$299.98

Bluenote, I'm a huge proponent of SLI/Xfiring inexpensive cards due to the bang for the buck it gives you, but I would stay away from those particular cards you listed.

The original GTX460 were 256bit cards, the 192bit ones are more or less exactly the same as the one you have, but with 1GB VRAM vice 768MB. They kicked up the clocks, but either one will tap 900+MHZ.

I've had both the ones in the sig rigs over 950 core for extended periods with no problems.

The ones you listed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130750

The same in 256bit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130752

The 256 bit is very worth the extra $5

The real grinder is that some of the v2 192bit versions don't even have SLI fingers, so you can't SLI them. Be very careful.

Thanks!! I completely missed the 256bit cards when I was browsing, and it was right underneath the 192s in the list! I'll likely go with those (256s) in SLI instead of going for a single card, if it's not as "good" maybe I'll swing that way on my next build.

NEW QUESTION*****

I've completely ditched the ASUS board in favor of one of the following. What do you think?

MSI

or

EVGA

Definitely getting the i5 @ MC, but they don't carry the video cards or the motherboard, so everything else will likely come from the Egg. Glad to see someone local on here! Go Blues indeed :)

FYI, there is a Microcenter down off Brentwood that has 2500k's for $180...

PS: Go Blues!!!

Thats where i got mine from. Not in Brentwood though but Brand New for $180 at Microcenter.

Edit: if your budget is $350 for a GPU setup...you can get a 6970 (2gb) for $299 after rebate for an XFX. Or you can get a GTX 570 1.3GB for about $330. Both those cards would do just fine for those games and resolution.

Plus if you are getting a board with Dual PCIe Slots, you can upgrade later. The 460s are getting old.

Just get dual GTX 590s and call it a day! LOL JK

So, Cheese, in your opinion, going with a single, higher end card now would be at the very least equal to SLI GTX460s and better for future upgrading? Here's what I'm buying this week, the video cards being the last piece of the puzzle:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UDH3-B3
i5-2500k
750W psu
8GB DDR3 1866 RAM

going in the Corsair Carbide 500R black case

so I just have to decide on the video card(s)...

If I go 2x 460, it'll definitley be the 256bit cards, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130752

Do you think a single GTX560 would be solid enough for running things like WoW, SWTOR, Tera, or GW2 on ultra settings? I'd probably not buck up for two of the 560s righ away if I were to go that direction.

Sorry for continually asking basically the same question, I'm just trying not to have buyer's remorse before I even buy the parts! lol

Well, kepler is currently rumoured for march/april slot... sources are saying that there should be something in the $300 range that will have performance over the GTX580..

Maybe worth waiting at least a few weeks to find out?

I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia spills the beans at cebit.. http://www.cebit.de/home

Dangit, diaz, that makes too much sense!! lol I was ready to move on this build this week, but that is very tempting to wait for. My conundrum right this moment, if I was to go ahead with this now, is basically: GTX460 SLI v. GTX560 v. GTX570, though the 570 is really pushing the limits of what I want to spend.

While the 560 alone might not be better performance-wise than the 460 SLI, it would save me $100 in current cost. I could then likely add another 560 down the road for relatively little $. Is the GTX570 > GTX460 SLI for roughly the same $$?

Back