• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyNiSk

hey Overclockers!

I was first thinking about waiting till Ivy Bridge & 6xx series of NVIDIA before building a new rig, but the wait is almost killing me. (I'm playing on a laptop atm, which isn't really made for gaming.)

My build would consist of:

CPU: 2500k
CPU-cooler: 212 Evo
MoBO: Gigabyte??? (CF ready)
GPU: Sapphire 7950 OC
PSU: Seasonic??? How big for CF with 7950?
RAM: 8GB 1600mhz
Chassis: Fractal Design R3

How does this look? Could it be done cheaper with same/better performance? I have a 120gb SSD and will most likely get another or a bigger one later one. I don't use that much space at the moment.

Yours sincerely,

kyNiSk from Denmark.

Last edited:
Btw I hear ya, I'm using an laptop right now but I am waiting for ivy bridge, because I'll know in the future I'll be happy I waited

dont worry about bottlenecking, even at stock the 2500k can handle 7950 xfre, and you can easily overclock 2500k to 4.5ghz.. if your only gaming, the 2500k is more than enough for you

It's only gonna be used for gaming :) it is of course nice to have the best of the best but it wont last for long and I don't think the difference between SB and IB will be major, gaming wise(theory)? I could always buy a
motherboard that supports IB and then upgrade in a year or so, if it proves out to be badass.

It's only gonna be used for gaming :) it is of course nice to have the best of the best but it wont last for long and I don't think the difference between SB and IB will be major, gaming wise(theory)? I could always buy a
motherboard that supports IB and then upgrade in a year or so, if it proves out to be badass.

Yes, any Z68 would do.
But don't worry, even in a couple of year, your 2500k will still be able to play the latest games. You might have to change your GPU by the time though.

id suggest the asrock extreme 3 board for a budget board

edit: assuming you have 4 sticks of ram 1 hard drive(mecahnical, 1 ssd, 5 case fans the i5 and then the cf 7950s you need a get 600watt, however since your on this forum i would assume your going to overclock it all and you would need at the bare minimum for that 650watt, in that case i would recommend the corsair ax 750 or even the 850, also cheak out the sasonic platinum

nice build man, awwww i love the mobo!!!! its a bit pricey for me though but it is worth it!

Thansk for the feedback guys! :) I will be building it sometime soon, maybe next week or the week after that. Not sure yet :p First time builder aswell, so it'll be interesting! :)

Back