• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Gainward GT 430 to a safe point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crushericio

Hello guys, I'm new here so excuse me if I posted in the wrong section!

I recently bought a new motherboard called Asrock G31M-S R2.0 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/G31M-S R2.0(m).jpg

also I bought a new processor, which is Intel Celeron Dual Core e3400 (2x 2.6)

Everything works great, but for more demanding games I need to lower my graphics in order to play them (which is perfectly fine, I know that GT 430 isn't that good, but it's pretty decent for money I gave).

So, now I want to overclock it, to gain at least 5 to 10 fps boost in each game, but I also don't want to toast my graphic card, cause I never did this before.

My standard clock settings (viewing from Expert Tool from NVidia) is:

Core Clock Setting: 700 mhz
Memory Clock Settings: 535 mhz
Shader Clock Settings: 1400 mhz

Fan Speed is Dynamic, 3d 35%.

Iddle Temperature is 30 to 35c, when playing demanding games up to 35 - 50c.

Hello guys, I'm new here so excuse me if I posted in the wrong section!

I recently bought a new motherboard called Asrock G31M-S R2.0 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/G31M-S R2.0(m).jpg

also I bought a new processor, which is Intel Celeron Dual Core e3400 (2x 2.6)

Everything works great, but for more demanding games I need to lower my graphics in order to play them (which is perfectly fine, I know that GT 430 isn't that good, but it's pretty decent for money I gave).

So, now I want to overclock it, to gain at least 5 to 10 fps boost in each game, but I also don't want to toast my graphic card, cause I never did this before.

My standard clock settings (viewing from Expert Tool from NVidia) is:

Core Clock Setting: 700 mhz
Memory Clock Settings: 535 mhz
Shader Clock Settings: 1400 mhz

Fan Speed is Dynamic, 3d 35%.

Iddle Temperature is 30 to 35c, when playing demanding games up to 35 - 50c.

First off a big :welcome:!!!!

Not to worry you posted this in the correct section:thup:

What games and what resolution are you playing at... because to be honesy you are unlikely to get 5-10 FPS out of overclocking. it all really depends on what you are playing. but overclocking will totally help out :thup:

First off you are going to want to download MSI Afterburner. This is pretty much the main GPU overclocking program that most people use. It will allow you to adjust fan speeds and clock speeds and possibly even voltages to increase you speeds more.

You may also have to overclock your CPU to achieve a 5-10 FPS increase.

It is rater hard under normal overclocking to kill your GPU. it will usually crash before permanent damage is done. Although caution must still be taken.

A quick and dirty how-to on overclocking you GPU is like this:
1 -install MSI Afterburner or similar OC software.
2 -raise core speed by 25 Mhz
3 -run a program to stress GPU (I recommend Unigine Heaven Benchmark click link to download)
4 -if it passes the benchmark without crashing repeat step (2) until it crashes
5 -once it no longer passes go back to your last good speed then raise by 5-10 Mhz increments.
6 -if you are able to adjust voltages you can raise them and you should be able to get a higher overclock. but this will raise temps so you may have to adjust fan speeds to suit.
7 -once you have found your max core clock, begin to raise you memory speed by 10 Mhz increments.
8 -rerun benchmark
9 -if it passes continue step (7) until it no longer passes.
10 -once it no longer passes go back to last good speed and raise by 1-5 Mhz increments.

Once you have maxed you core and memory do some gaming and it should run them fine. if not back off your overclock a bit and try again.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

If you are interested in overclocking you CPU to get the most out of your system I would suggest making another thread in this section where you will get more fine tuned help with CPU overclocking.

Once again :welcome:!!!

Back