• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What exactly is XMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i50-9999k

Registered
Besides extreme memory profile.What is xmp good for? why would one want to enable it? what does it do? thanks.

regards,
david

I'm definately not an expert in this area, but here's my experience with it: I got some memory with adjusted timings. it wasn't until I enabled the xmp in the BIOS that I was able to take advantage of the faster timing. If you're fermiliar with Overclocking your memory, XMP seems like a marketing gimic. If not, it's a good way to get extra perfomance.

XMP (Extreme Memory Profile?) is basically a non-JEDEC approved SPD table for your RAM that is programmed into the sticks. By setting XMP you can run the stiocks at their RATED speed and timings even if it requires more vDIMM to do so.

Fer instance.

1333 MHz 9-9-9 @ 1.5v is JEDEC standard

Most kits will do 1600 9-9-9 at 1.6V

To get your system to set that automatically you need an XMP profile and a board that is capable of utilizing it :)

No memory IC company in the world AFAIK actually makes 1866MHz or 2133 MHZ ICs. (I believe some make 1600 now) they are all set from the manufacturer of memory modules.

So basically, I have 8GB corsair vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 ram.If it is reading non-advertised specs such as 1333 I could enable xmp as a quick solution to get the advertised specs?Sorry for the silly questions.

Code:
15-2500k cpu
asus p7p68 pro mobo
asus gtx560 gpu
corsair vengeance 8GB 1600 ram
750w ps
2 mechanical HD
antec900 case

XMP (Extreme Memory Profile?) is basically a non-JEDEC approved SPD table for your RAM that is programmed into the sticks. By setting XMP you can run the stiocks at their RATED speed and timings even if it requires more vDIMM to do so.

Fer instance.

1333 MHz 9-9-9 @ 1.5v is JEDEC standard

Most kits will do 1600 9-9-9 at 1.6V

To get your system to set that automatically you need an XMP profile and a board that is capable of utilizing it :)

No memory IC company in the world AFAIK actually makes 1866MHz or 2133 MHZ ICs. (I believe some make 1600 now) they are all set from the manufacturer of memory modules.

^This.

Just and update.

I was wrong about memory manufacturers. Been a while since I looked at whitepapers for Memory. Micron is selling 800/933 and 1066 rated ICs now (CL=9/11/13 respectively).

@i50.. yes enabling XMP profile will set your memory multiplier and timings to their rated listing. Sorry for the delay in reply. It can also adjust VTT in some cases, maybe even higher than necessary so it is good to keep an eye on that.

If your motherboard has an XMP bios setting it should configure the voltage and timings correctly but sometimes it misses. Best to check the "Memory" tab against the "XMP" profile in the "SPD" tab.

Back