• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would I benefit from a memory upgrade??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcoomer

Hello,
I'm new to overclocking and am wondering if upgrading memory would help me achieve better results. I'm running a Q9550 in a Maximus II Formula with 4g of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 (4X1G). I had initially thought about going 4X2G to get to 8 total but doing some reading on here it seems that the preference is to fill two slots.

So, would it be money well spent to upgrade to 1066, or not? If so, should I go with two DIMMs and run 4G or is it OK to use four and get to 8G? Finally (and you knew it was coming right??), recommendations on a good set of chips? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Me personally, I love crucial Ballistix. Im running 8gb(4x2gb) of 6400 and timeings of 5-5-5-15 Volt2.0 and its lighting fast for me with my OC.. But as far as upgrading. g,skill or Adada, patriot all good memory, But its really up to you. Might want to give alittle more specs on you rig for people to help you alittle more :) Like, timeings, FSB. etc...

I've got another thread open in Intel CPU's asking for assistance in overclocking my CPU. At the bottom is a fairly crappy screenshot showing my CPUz data. Right now I'm running 7.5 X 427 for a stable 3.2GHz core speed. Timing and voltage are stock at 5-5-5-18. Screenshot was taken with Prime 95 running.

Overclocking thread

Mike

dont buy ram yet, you can lower your FSB on your ram to find out if your CPU or something else is the bottleneck.

what are you using for cooling?

dont buy ram yet, you can lower your FSB on your ram to find out if your CPU or something else is the bottleneck.

what are you using for cooling?

Cooling is provided by a Zalman CNPS10 Extreme. The temps in the screenshot are with Prime 95 running in the background. Still moving down on vCore.

Mike

Back