• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the new precertfied 7970 drivers, 3DMark 11 now locks up when OC'd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skoolz

Registered
So, I've got a solid OC (so I thought) at 1100/1500 with no voltage increase. Games have been playing fine before and after the new driver, and 3DMark 11 worked before the new driver and worked immediately after installing the driver once. But last night, I couldn't get past the graphics tests without it hanging. The first time it froze on the first graphics test, but eventually started going again. The next time, it made it to the third graphics test only to hang, and I had to do a hard reset. Is it not far-fetched to blame it on the drivers or is it most likely my OC? Just before running the benchmark, I finished playing BF3 for about 2 hours straight without any problems. Before that, I played Portal 2 for about 3 hours with no problems.

Is anybody else having 3DMark 11 hang after the new drivers?

No problems here (7950). Try backing off your overclock or running it at stock speeds. If it works then, well, its your overclock.

I noticed strange behavior like this as well when I first got my 7970 and I was running all the voltage / clockspeed tests to see what it would clock to.

I don't know to clearly explain it, but in summary after all the testing and multiple display driver crashes, clock/voltage combinations that were previously stable were no longer stable. I have no solid explanation for this, but I suppose there are several things that could be going on including incorrect voltage being set or read after a few crashes.

The 7970's sometimes a finicky beast, but a beast it is.

Edit: holy time machine batman, look at my sig!

Back