• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hdd failing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thevint

Registered
Hello My hard drive has recently been making extremly quick clicking noises.
It does it as soon as my pc turns on, the whole way throught windows startup then about 5 mins later it slows down and stop.
The sound is a very quick clicking sound. Its not slow like the click of death its quite quick.
Does anyone know what is happening? thanks

F.Y.I Not long ago my pc went to a blue screen and crashed and then froze on the windows starting up screen. then the next day it turned on and worked i run windows disk check and it took a long time. i thought it was fixed
started up my pc the next day and it made the same clicking sound again :(
Can someone please help!
thanks

well it sounds like a mechanical issue honestly I would back up everything and get a new HDD while you can I wouldn't take a chance with that HDD. its basically a ticking time bomb (no pun intended)

Last edited:
I would suggest getting HDTune (the free version is lower on the page) to see if the drive is reporting any errors. Take a screenshot and post it here.

When it is making the noise, if you press firmly on the drive (not too hard), does the noise stop? If so, it is just vibrational noise.

Thanks it is currently error scanning, If it was a vibration problem would it of crashed that time?
And how would I fix it if its a vibrational sound? :)

If it is vibration, it is fairly easy to solve. If the drive is too loose, simply tightening down the screws should fix it. Otherwise, something else in the case is vibrating, and you will have to locate what the issue is. I'd suggest using a tube (like the cardboard in a roll of paper towels) to help locate the issue quickly.

In HDTune, you don't need to do the scan - that isn't going to help. You just need to check the Health tab. I'd suggest posting a screenshot of that.

I would check the BIOS to make sure SMART isn't disabled. If this is connected through SATA, that should definitely have information there.

Back