• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

discrete video card whaat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i always thought discrete meant oboard, wouldnt that be discrete? lol i wouldnt say an 11 inch long card taking up half your case would be very discrete would you? hmm i want some feed back on this subject :D

I am of the same opinion as you but for some reason the last 3 years ish they started coming them discrete lol. I don't know why.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrete

1. apart or detached from others; separate; distinct: six discrete parts

As opposed to discreet

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discreet

1. judicious in one's conduct or speech, especially with regard to respecting privacy or maintaining silence about something of a delicate nature; prudent; circumspect.
2. showing prudence and circumspection; decorous: a discreet silence.
3. modestly unobtrusive; unostentatious: a discreet, finely wrought gold necklace.

"Discrete" is proper IMNSHO. Same with "Discrete Op Amps" etc - the individual components are "separate" - not like an IC where everything is on a common substrate...

:cool:

ohh, lol maybe i should go back to english class, i didnt realise there was two of them(discreet and discrete). hmm wonder why there is and they seem to mean quite different things. lol i would just call it a video card, or graphics card. "discrete graphics card" just makes people feel smart i guess lol. jk :D
but isnt it kind of redundant, if its a card its seperate, if its onboard its not a card.

Last edited:
ohh, lol maybe i should go back to english class, i didnt realise there was two of them(discreet and discrete). hmm wonder why there is and they seem to mean quite different things. lol i would just call it a video card, "discrete graphics card" just makes people feel smart i guess lol.
jk :D

English was created by people who want to screw with our minds is why there are two discreet/etes.
"There is no way to know now what their intentions were or where they were when these intentions were theirs. I'd say they're, or rather were, a bunch of nuts though.": <See what I mean?

And yes discrete/eet refers to a gigantic conspicuous GPU. Perhaps we should change discreet to conspicuous. I have a conspicuous soundcard and GPU.

English was created by people who want to screw with our minds is why there are two discreet/etes.
"There is no way to know now what their intentions were or where they were when these intentions were theirs. I'd say they're, or rather were, a bunch of nuts though.": <See what I mean?

And yes discrete/eet refers to a gigantic conspicuous GPU. Perhaps we should change discreet to conspicuous. I have a conspicuous soundcard and GPU.

good idea ocnoob :D i have a conspicuous video card :p

[p.s. i edited my last post as you were posting lol]

Back