• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I wonder how long that chip lasted.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
I've seen some bone headed things done inside computer cases, but this one just takes the cake. :D

profimontaz.jpg

I would have paid money to be in the room when he fired up the computer only to have the CPU explode just a few seconds later. The look of horror on his face would have been glorious. :D

That is insane. I cannot believe that someone would make that mistake. I can't imagine that CPU lasted long :)

Realistically, Intel CPUs have emergency shutdown, so nothing would happen. Funny pic though.

The chip would survive...it would throttle itself until pushed and then it would shut down to prevent a thermal event. I've actually run my old Pentium 2200 without a heatsink and it lived without an issue. (I was trying to kill it....bloody thing wouldn't die....long story....)

If this was a Socket A or Socket 478 chip it would have been mighty smokey as all the "magic" escaped from the chip. ;)

Holy crap I just noticed the heatsink on the back of the case. I read on a forum not too long ago that a guy thought he would go ahead and load up Windows and just get things set up while he was waiting on his H100 for his new 3930K.....

He actually got several minutes into the Windows installation before the 125C thermal switch just shut it down. I never did go back to see how that one turned out.

I guess I could see that one because the 3930K ships without a heatsink, but to mount the heatsink in the wrong place....Wow.

Back