• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New waterblock needed for Zalman Reserator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I bought a Zalman reserator 6 years ago. This is a fanless/silent watercooling setup intended more for silent computing than performance (it still outperforms an air cooler).

I know my setup is ancient, but it has worked without issue for 6+ years.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Coolin...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329875727&sr=1-36

Incidentally - I have never cleaned the waterblock, I have never had a leak, the pump has not failed and I don't have corrosion problems. I just used the zalman coolant and throw in some more distilled water about once a year. Maybe I'm just lucky. /shrug

I'm upgrading my rig to an i5-2500k. My new motherboard will be a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 )

I know that the Zalman 3/8 tubing is an odd sizing. Ideally I'd like to find a suitable waterblock with suitable barbs for my existing tubing.... but I'm finding very few options for my CPU socket.

Am I just missing something? I like to buy from NewEgg, but they don't have much of a water cooling selection. Could somebody point me to a decent waterblock that would be compatible with my MB?

Thanks,
Mitch

take a look at frozencpu.com. they are really good for water cooling parts. Way better than newegg is for watercooling.

As for 3/8 tubing, is that ID or OD? if it is ID then buy some 3/8 ID fittings and you are good with go.

Also might want to clean out your entire system so it is in peak shape for your new stuff.

Your biggest problem is your current old block is aluminum. ALL newer blocks are copper. You risk corrosion, meaning aluminum pitting and buildup on the copper. You'll have to change liquids for sure, to a 30%+ mixture of antifreeze and distilled to keep the slow corrosion at bay. Can't stop it.

Another problem is the wattage your Zalman can handle. Is that really your current CPU? A 486? You gotta be kidding. But seriously, if so, you'll soon find out that the Zalman can't begin to cope with modern CPU wattage.

If your going to give it a try, go to:

Sidewinders
Performance PC's
JabTech

For current good WC stuff.

Doesn't Zalman sell a alum block that will work with your newer CPU?

You'll be fine with the Zalman Reserator on an 2500k...the reserator actually has a fair bit of capacity, easily enough to cool an i5.
As for the CPU block, just grab what ever is on sale, because using a passive WCing setup, the difference between the best and worst performing modern CPU blocks is moot. You'll definitely want to run a mixture of distilled water + some kind of anti-corrosion fluid, automotive antifreeze being the most readily available. However, corrosion with anodized parts is easily managed using the right fluids, and because there is no direct contact between the aluminum reservoir and the copper CPU block (aside from the fluid), the rate of corrosion will be significantly slowed down. You really only want to be careful when the two dismaler metals come into direct contact, completing a circuit.
I say use a 85/15 ratio of distilled to antifreeze. Alternatively you could get one of the many PC WCing specific fluids on the market, though they are over priced for what you get.

I believe the Zalman uses 1/4 ID 3/8" OD tubing, which is rare, but not unheard of. You should be able to find barbs to accommodate this tubing easily enough. Frozen CPU has perhaps the largest selection of fittings in this size - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30...Cooling-Fittings-Barbs-14_ID_Barbs-Page1.html
new tubing - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c99/s170/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing-14_ID_Tubing-Page1.html

Thanks again for all the feedback. This forum has been a great place for advice for many years. I was stunned at the lack of selection at NewEgg.

My current rig has an e8400 CPU.

I've read plenty of horror stories related to the Reserator unit I am using (corrosion and/or the zalman coolant caused problems), but it has been rock-solid for me.

I'm old. I play a little minecraft on occasion, but I primarily use my PC while working from home. I like to play around with overclocking my CPU, but at the end of the day my build will be geared for quiet computing.

I'm also thinking about picking up an Antec Kuhler 620.... obviously it is a low-end water cooling solution, but it may be enough to fit my needs.

Back