• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My regular/folding rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gammerx

So I have been having some fun doing regular single core folding, but I feel like I need to step it up. I use the comp regularly for some games and web surfing, and its on 24/7. Want to try multicore or GPU folding now.

specs:
955 BE
8 GB 1333 RAM
Sapphire 6770

Let me know if you guys need more info and please leave me some tip below, thanks!

A few questions:

1) I know you have an "easy" client, but what client is that, EXACTLY?

2) Do you have a passkey? You'll miss out on a lot of points if you don't use one.

My advice is get the latest V7 client (7.1.48) and install it, if you haven't already WITH your passkey (of course). That client should automatically set your folding up for smp folding, using all your cores.

To get a passkey, if you need it:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

If you need the updated V7 client:
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/
and click on the DOWNLOAD logo.

Last edited:
OK. Click on the "Finish" button, and let the current wu complete (with no new wu).

In the upper right hand corner, select "Advanced" or "Expert", then click on the "configure" button at the left upper corner.

Click on the "Slots" tab. Your slot types will be listed. Click on the slot you want to change, and in the lower right hand corner click on the Edit button.

Click on the smp type, instead of the uniprocessor type, and keep the number in the smp selection as -1. That lets the client select how many cores to use.

Save that and pause just a second to let the client re-write the config file, and restart.

That should do it. :)

Last edited:
I feel like maybe I should get a better cooler before continuing with multi-core, I am using the stock cooler and its hovering around 58-59 Celsius

CoolerMaster 212 series of cpu coolers is a value/performance leader. $20-$30, with good performance, and quiet.

Not sure of your safe high temp on that 955 BE, but the whole Black Edition difference is that they had unlocked multipliers, so they had a higher thermal design as well.

I've read that 62C max...Will buy the fan soon...Dropped down to 55-56

Back