• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PATA SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I was poking around looking at hdd prices and something caught my eye..
Super Talent 1.8 inch 128GB MasterDrive GF IDE ZIF Solid State Drive(MLC) - FZM28GF18H (saw it on pricewatch)

I didn't know there was such an animal as an IDE SSD. It is advertised as PATA.
It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth the price, as the bandwidth is 80mb/s max sequential read, and 40mb/s sequential write....although their advertised mtbf is 1 million hrs, so maybe if you want to keep your old dinosaur PIII or AMD64 rig another 20+ years it could pay for itself.
I still maintain two PIII machines that I can't let go, because they are adequate for a few games that I will probably never tire of, and having a couple of ssd's raided would make mine or any old PIII or AMD64 rig really shine.
Frankenputer would really be a monster then.

So what do you think..would you buy one?

I believe they market those for the new ultrabooks and some netbooks, but how they will function over an IDE channel in your older P3 machines, I think bottleneck much!

I upgraded to something similar on my Asus EEE pc 900. It originally had a very cheap 4GB SSD that barely pushed 30MB/s. The new drive maxes the IDE bus at about 90MB/s and is 16GB's in size. Very nice improvement at the time. Only regret is no TRIM wasn't even thought of at the time so it has slowed down a bit.

you would be better off buying a SATA to IDE adapter for that matter and using a newer drive.

Back