• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD showing as a removable drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ACHI will show the drive as removable, it will just not let you remove it if you try.

both my 320 and 520 are hooked up to their respective motherboards PCH and I have the option to remove both. Tried to remove the 320, wouldn’t let me.

Both boards are using Windows 7 w/ up to date PCH Drivers.

I checked my connections I'm hooked up right but I turned on every ahci setting in bios. I will take a pic and post it when I get home I may have turned on something not needed.

You're using a P67. Grrr... I don't know what, but I did something (not sure if I set up something on the BIOS or in IRST) to make two of my ports appear as eSATA (the ports that are connected to my hotswappable 800D tray).

I'll try to find it and post it here.

Thing is. My Main system doesn't have this option anymore. Though it used to. I forget what I changed to remove it.. (There is a registry fix for it.. But I didn't do that).

Like someone said; you can't remove your boot drive. It won't let you. But some people report slower performance after you've tried.. Apparently. Not sure on the validity on that.

I highly doubt it gives slower performance. IIRC, it just tells the OS "Hey, this device here can be removed, so, list it there, to let the user know".

I highly doubt it gives slower performance. IIRC, it just tells the OS "Hey, this device here can be removed, so, list it there, to let the user know".

Can you change it from "optimize for quick removal" to "optimize for performance" in device mgr?

I will check that when I get home. It no longer says removable though thanks to a bios setting. I had my mobo sata 3 set to hotswap.

Back