• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modular vs. Non-Modular Power Supply Debate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

action2288

Can someone point me toward a sticky or something useful on this? I've Googled and searched through these forums and haven't found anything useful.

There isn't really a debate to be had... Modular allows you to use only the cables you need so that unused cables won't clutter up the case.

I remember there being concern about the connectors wearing down due to use or corrode, which could increase resistance in the line. But, I've never heard of that issue since then and I solely use modular power supplies myself.

Thanks! I had read something long ago about modular power supplies being inefficient, because of some theory that power is lost through the connectors or something. So when two power supplies of the same wattage are compared to each other, one being modular and one non-modular, the latter will have more power. The conversation ended up turning into physics or electricity or something and was way over my head.

So, then why NOT go modular? Is it simply a cost issue?

Back